SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Update on my hollow apple tree

alisande
14 years ago

I posted a while back about my discovery that a good part of our massive russet apple tree was hollow--and most of the tree was aimed at the house and ice house. About a week later, one-third of another very old apple tree (a King) came down, leaving behind evidence of a great deal of rot at the base of the section that fell.

My son explained to me that both trees rotted at the same height (about five feet from the ground) because many years ago--back in the days before cars--heavy chain had been embedded in the trees for the purpose of holding horses. All these years later, the moisture introduced 100 or so years ago developed into irreversible damage.

My son (who worked for a tree service one summer until poison ivy forced him to quit) took down most of the russet a couple of weeks ago. Only about 20 feet of the trunk remains. It's safe, and can stand there for a while longer until it's convenient for him to cut it down.

The power company "trimmed" the King a few days ago. I had called them to express our concern that another section of it, thoroughly entwined with the power lines, would soon come down and take the lines with it. I thought they might remove that section, but instead they took off a great many of the top branches. They explained that removing the weight of the top branches eliminated the danger. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but that's where we stand at present.

The tree looks awful after its trimming, but we'll live with it for now. Next year I'll proceed with our plan to graft a new King, which we can plant where the russet used to be. I know someone who knows how to do this, and he's promised to help.

Here's how the trees look today. You can see how rotten the King is at the base of those huge sections of trunk (limbs?). (I love that tree, and am not happy about this.) The remaining russet trunk is on the right.

Comments (7)