SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

did not care for that dress, did you?

glenda_al
13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

then again, I never thought of her as much of a dresser

did you see her when she was getting out of the vehicle, going to the dinner late nite in that dress? Looked like one bosom was gonna fall out :o)

Comments (134)

• donna37
    13 years ago

Maybe those were the most comfortable shoes she owned and knowing she would have a long time ahead of her on her feet wanted to be comfortable. I'm all for comfort, not style and at the present time I can only wear men's tennis shoes, and that's what I wore to my DGD's wedding Sat. afternoon. Don't believe a soul looked at my feet and if they did so what?

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Well I glad we settled that! LOL!

Congratulations to the Couple!

• Related Discussions

lone tulip i did not plant... care???

Q

Comments (3)
    Let him do his thing. Nice of you to water him, but I doubt it'd make much of a difference unless you're in a huge drought. Plus I believe lots of bulbs are native to arid climates like the Middle East, Mediterranean, and South Africa so they don't need huge amounts of water.
    ...See More

Did Daniel Vosovic's Dress Look Like an Orchid to You?

Q

Comments (4)
    I didn't think Daniel's dress particularly "looked" like the orchid (a ho-hum Phalaenopsis) but I really liked the dress anyway. Andrae's was really great, too and I wouldn't have been surprised if the judges had awarded a tie. In fact, they should have since winning the individual competitions doesn't mean a thing in the end. Yeah, Zulema's really fell short but I was sure Kara was going to get the boot for her jersey yawn. Zulema's dress would have fit fine had the model been born with four boobs. I lost a lot of respect for Nick during his whole post-model-theft drama episode. Please. It's a competition and you just DEAL. Girlina, Please. I loved it when Tim said the dumped model looked like an elongated marshmallow. Looks like they're setting it up for Tim to catch Santino impersonating him next week. Damn right I'll tune in!!
    ...See More

I did, did you? Or will you?

Q

Comments (6)
    Glenda, that looks so delicious. I wish I had the fixins for a spinach salad here. I haven't eaten very healthy yet today. I had a handful of Cheez-its for breakfast. I did drink some orange juice though. I ate another handful of the Cheez-its for lunch. In a few minutes I'm going to slice some strawberries and bananas for a snack for Bob and myself. For supper Bob is going to have a semi home made pizza and I'm going to order one from Pizza Hut for myself. I'm going to chow down while watching the Final Four game. Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!! Linda
    ...See More

Did anyone redo or dress up their vanity?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks all, yes that is granite tile. My contractor Mike who is amazing did it. He beveled the edges with his grinder. I love it and how it gave the bath such a different look. I feel like I have a spa like bath now. Have fun. Laura
    ...See More
  • justgotabme
    13 years ago

I have to say that Marc not smiling, in my opinion, is just a guy thing. I've rarely seen, or heard of, the groom looking radiant. It's all about the bride and he's just there for the show. My own wonderful hubby, whom I've been blissfully married to for over thirty years now, looked quite bored in all our wedding pictures. The guys just want to get all the hoopla over with so they can get on with the rest of their lives is my guess.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

White wedding dresses is not a biblical thing...unless your bible was written after the 1800's.
    Where is the biblical reference to white clothing for a bride?

Queen Victoria of England wore a white gown, and it started a fad which has since become a custom.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tee hee, gayle

• marilyn_c
    13 years ago

I haven't seen any pictures or watched any tv...except for the pic at the top of the post. I think she looks very nice. I'm
    no fashion maven...and not even a fan of Hilary's...and I seldom notice anyone's fashions...favorable or not, but from the picture...I think she looks pretty.

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I think that Hillary looked nice. Where I live any style is acceptable - maxi, midi, mini, any color, conservative or showing cleavage. Who wants to be an exact copy of someone else? And just who is the authority?

Many brides wear sneakers or other comfortable shoe under their wedding dresses, which is sensible. So why shouldn't the mother of the bride dress comfortably for such a long affair? Some supposedly in style shoes are much uglier.

And we are TO REFRAIN FORM DISCUSSING RELIGION on this forum.

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

Religion, religion, religion!

There, I feel much better now.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tee hee, magic

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I could be wrong, but in the very first pic (#1) of the slideshow I think that Hilary is in the background on the right. The background is blurry but it looks like the same Fuchsia cut dress with the same neckline and a pink sparkly necklace and bow at the waist just like the photo (#3) that is the one being shown in all the news reports that does not show the whole dress. It is said that her dress had flowers on the skirt and this one does. The hair style and face shape look like Hilary. If it is not Hilary, it would be a huge faux pas to wear such a similar dress as the MOB.

I think this is the dress:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/07/29/GA2010072903392.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress?

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Here is the pic I am referring to. This one is smaller and not as detailed as the one in the slideshow above. I think that is Hilary in the background on the right.

This is a pic showing part of the dress Hilary wore. It looks like it could be the same one in the photo above.

{{!gwi}}

It doesn't look like a bad dress, but may be considered a bit "fussy" for a woman her age and of her position to wear to a formal affair. Dresses with bows and flowers are more for junior bridesmaids.

Still can't find photos of the second dress Chelsea wore to the reception. No pics of the bridesmaids either, but they are said to have worn lavender chiffon with bows. They probably are not releasing pics of bridesmaids yet so they won't be hassled by journalists pestering for "details" and "behind the scene" tidbits.

• hgl_gaylemarie
    13 years ago

Are we there yet?

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Nope. Not yet. I for one am curious to see what the wedding cake looked like. It is said that is was vegan and gluten free. I'm sure it was beautiful. And also, what did the dresses look like that were worn to the Sunday brunch that the wedding party and 400 guests attended the next day? No pics of the grooms family have been released at all. What did the MOG wear? Everyone loves to see a beautiful wedding.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I would hate to live such a public life. It's bad enough living a reg life with the criticism you have to deal with. And I don't mean you all are criticizing them, just that the public is so hard on famous people.

• chisue
    13 years ago

I LOVED the bridal gown. I'd want to murder whoever did the makeup for the bride and MOB.

Yes, I'd like some photos of the groom's mom and family too!

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Vala even if one was attending a wedding of a friend or relative it is impossible not to have an opinion of the details of such an event. That is just the way human nature is. Chelsea did not have to put out a press release with photos of her very private wedding if she did not want to.

I think she looked beautiful and her dress was lovely. Her choices for flowers and other details were lovely and tasteful. The venue was absolutely breathtaking.

It is fun for me to view the photos of such a wedding and I am glad they shared them with the public. I still want to see pics of that 500lb wedding cake. I'm not really interested in reading the list of songs that the 18 piece band played at the reception or speculating on the honeymoon locale choice but apparently this interests others so the media reports on this stuff too. I am a bit of a historical architecture buff and was interested in Astor Courts history which you can read below. It's for sale now. It went on the block the day after the wedding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astor Courts

• alisande
    13 years ago

Hilary appears to be holding the hand of an older woman in sunglasses. Any idea who that is?

I agree that her dress is a little unusual for the mother of the bride, but it's pretty, and if it makes her happy to wear it, she should go for it. Besides, if Oscar de la Renta thinks it's appropriate for the mother of the bride, that's a rather reliable stamp of approval. He certainly knows more about fashion than I. :-)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Does anyone know what's considered "usual" for the mother of the bride?

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

In this day and age "usual" is no longer a care. BUT back in the day the only rule I ever heard was the Mother of the Bride gets to pick her dress before the mother of the groom.

At the weddings in my family my mom followed the bride's maids as far as length of dress. My brother's mother in law did not.

• nodakgal
    13 years ago

I didn't mind either dress Hillary wore, neither are my style, but whatever makes you happy is my motto!

I thought it was the brides decision what the mother's wear?
    I mean colors or style.
    My oldest DD said nice pantsuits were great in the same color as bridesmaids dresses. Both Moms wore them.

Youngest DD told me whatever you want as long as it doesn't clash with the bridesmaids. She did help me finalize the decision. She picked a couple out of all my selections

I think "usual" depends on the wedding itself. So many brides are laid back as mine were, others are total bridezilla's that need to control every aspect of the wedding.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

The bride always has an opinion that should be respected. Hey maybe that is the answer..maybe Chelsea chose the dresses...

• alisande
    13 years ago

I should start thinking about these things........both my son and daughter are engaged. :-)

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

"Hilary appears to be holding the hand of an older woman in sunglasses. Any idea who that is?"

I believe that may be the groom's mother. If you look through the veil in the above photo of the man with the gray hair and white boutonniere, that looks like Bill. The B&G are exiting the ceremony and it is custom that the parents are the first to follow leaving. It would make sense that the woman between Bill and Hilary is the MOG since she looks too young to be one of Chelsea's grandmothers and she also looks Jewish.

And no, I don't like her dress in case anyone is wondering.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

It is reported that a family friend who is Burberry's creative director, designed the ties for the groomsmen and the father of the bride, (and also the groom's suit). No mention of a tie for the father of the groom. All we know from the news reports is that he did not get a custom made tie. Maybe he already had a favorite lucky tie he insisted on wearing?? Maybe he did not attend? Jewish tradition dictates that the groom is walked down the aisle with both parents but the news reports say the groom walked down the aisle with only his mother. Did he break his prison probation and is back in the slammer? Did he boycott the wedding? Was he banned from attending? Was he too embarassed to attend? I'm sure it will all slowly come out in the news.

• alisande
    13 years ago

I believe that may be the groom's mother.

Heavens, I hope not. Marjorie Margolies Mezvinsky isn't that old, for one thing. And she's always been attractive. This photo was taken in 2008:

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Is Hillary's Mom still alive - maybe that's who is in the photo.

• suzieque
    13 years ago

The groom's father is a convicted felon who was released from prison in 2008 (one of several links posted below; also check Wikipedia). Perhaps he wasn't there. It is possible that he was either not invited or chose to not attend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fast Eddie Mezvinsky

• foggyj
    13 years ago

I'm fairly certain that older lady between B & H , is Mrs. Rodham. Hillary's mother.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

The groom's father did attend...but there was a report that there is a rift in the groom's family - since the trial and subsequent divorce.
    He was invited, and attended....but was in the background.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

You guys are probably right about that being Mrs. Dorthy Rodham. I just checked and she is still alive at the age of 91y/o. She looks great for her age.

Alisande, I was thinking that I hoped it was not the MOG. She has always looked good, but I could only find older pics (not that I looked real hard though) and nothing current. The hairstyle is similar to what she had always worn. I thought maybe the recent scandal and divorce took a toll on her, and maybe even that she had become ill and was battling something. Glad to know she is doing OK and that that is most likely Mrs. Rodham.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

That woman in the sunglasses is Hillary's mother. I recognized her right away. I think she looks great.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Yes, that's Hilary's mother. Just saw a picture of her at the wedding stating who it was.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Great pic of the three generations of women:

Seeing Mrs Rodham's dress up close, it looks like a great choice for a 91y/o woman for a wedding and coordinates with the bride's dress fabulously.

Hillary was there as Mother of the Bride, and not Secretary of State, so the flouncy, floral, hooped, thing she wore, fit with the occasion, considering that she's Southern, and older Southern women tend to go more for that sort of thing.

We will probably never see the pics of the bridesmaids as I read that Chelsae used children in the wedding party. Maybe they will still release pics of the cake?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress Close Up.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I DO like the above picture

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

Hillary is about as far away from Southern as me. She grew up in my neck of the woods in Illinois, around Chicago.

I don't particularily like her choice of dress for the wedding. I think it's too young for her. But she looks pretty, and very happy. It's a surprising choice for me.

• alisande
    13 years ago

Wow--her mother looks fabulous for her age. I think she's from Scranton. I can only hope it has something to do with the northeast Pennsylvanian air.

Look at the count on this thread: We're over 120! Obviously, we KTers feel passionate about dresses. LOL

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Thank you for the correction. I see now that Hillary was born in Chicago and did not move to Arkansas until 1974. She met Bill when both attened Yale.

Then there is no excuse for that dress.

She should have done something more sophisticated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hillary Bio

• vala55
    13 years ago

Nah, I don't feel passionate about dresses, just about how dresses affect others.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

Ooohh - I don't like that pink one either - too flouncy for my taste. I'd seen just the top of it in another photo and thought it might be better than the green one but I don't think so. Wow - that other woman (Mrs. Rodham) is 91? She looks great - can't imagine she looks that young without the benefit of some plastic surgery - but more power to her.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

Ha ha, Dilly, I have to agree with you. The more I look at that dress, the more I think "no excuse". I guess that just goes to show that women can be really smart, and still be not so smart about fashion. I like to think I'm smart in my wardrobe choices, but my DD probably wouldn't agree. Likewise, I would never wear the clothes she wears (too much cleavage)

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

who would have thunk so many responses

I am amazed :o)

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

panem et circenses

• des_arc_ya_ya
    13 years ago

dilly dally, I sure hope that that remark was made by a slip of the tongue. Being southern or Arkansan, either, does not automatically make one a fashion failure! LOL

• jae_tn2
    13 years ago

thanks ya ya! my tennessee feathers just got ruffled! maybe she has not spent time down this way.....not easily offended but i did take that comment as a slam to the south.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

I'm still wondering what " panem et circenses" has to do with any of this. LOL

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

mammie....I guess it's reference to gluten-free bread and media circus :)

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

That's what I got too, bread and circus. :)

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Oh dear. No, it was not a slam to the South. Not at all.

It is a common phrase. It was a direct response to Glanda's comment regarding how much the media spent covering this fairytale wedding of a young woman who was once but a mere blip on the radar in the media during her rather cloistered teenage life in the White House, and has been virtually unknown in the public eye in the years since.

I should have quoted her so everyone would know. I usually quote when I post so that there is no mix-up like this. Monica got it right. It is a reference to the media circus. And yes, I was drawn in too. A media circus often happens during, or just after a major upheaval of some sort, and provides a distraction for the populace.

It is a philosophy that goes way back. Those "in charge" know that by providing some sort of mindless entertainment like bullfights or circuses, the plebians won't engage in intellectual discourse among themselves, and organize a revolt.

The literal translation is 'bread and circuses'. You may hear pan y toros in Spanish meaning basically the same thing. I suppose the modern day equivalent in America could be 'Pringles and Jerry Springer' or maybe 'bratwurst and football'.

Regarding how people dress in various regions of the country well, people DO dress differently. Nothing wrong with that. I've travelled and found myself feeling very out of place in some cities with my mode of dress. Even here in Wisconsin there is a big difference in what is popular in the rural areas for dressing up, (where most of my relative reside), and what is done in the big city, and even how people dress who live around the Capital.

I never meant to imply that Hillary's dress looked like what a circus performer would wear taming zebras, but...........now that image has been put in my mind.
    Read here for an explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread and Circus

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

OR

{{!gwi}}

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Hillary, Grandma and Chelsey are good looking ladies. Huge beautiful eyes and their smile...what else do you need? Hillary's dress, not so much. It is as simple as that. North, south, high glam or off the rack it is not a pretty dress. She got the short end from the little we got to see of the wedding. Every designer can have a bad day and her get ups prove it.