SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Chicks still hatching, birds everywhere! 2 Pics

caroline94535
13 years ago

The Purple Martin nesting season is strange this year. Right now I have chicks more than two-weeks-old, chicks that have just hatched, and more than half of the total number of eggs still being incubated.

The fledging season is going to be stretched out, which is fine by me. That means the colony will be here longer than usual.

I've had three "clear" (not fertilized) eggs, and four one-week-old embryos to die in the shell. In past years and with larger numbers, I've not lost any eggs, or only one or two, to natural causes.

Still, the PM chicks are doing great! As of this afternoon I have 23 chicks hatched and 14 eggs still being incubated in the 10 active nests.

Gourd 1 - 5 eggs *One is an adopted "mystery" egg from Gourd 5.

Gourd 3 - 4 eggs

Gourd 4 - 1 Chick from an adopted egg. The four eggs laid by this pair were infertile/dead-in-the-shell.

Gourd 5 - 5 Chicks. These are my oldest/biggest b@bies.

*After the first three chicks hatched a "mystery" egg appeared. I moved it to Gourd 1 since those eggs were the same age.

Gourd 6 - 5 Chicks

Gourd 7 - 4 Chicks and 1 egg. These are my newest precious pinkies.

The eggs will hatch over a 2-3 day period because of the PM's laying/incubating pattern. This is normal.

Gourd 8 - 4 eggs

These eggs are past-due to hatch; I'll give them three more days before I check them.

Gourd 11 - 4 Chicks

Gourd 12 - 4 Chicks *One is from an adopted egg. One of the original eggs did not hatch. It was unfertilized.

Gourd 14 - 4 Chicks.

These are the last eggs to be layed in the colony.

Adopted babies...The two eggs that were left from Gourd 2's dead hen both hatched and are doing fine. The only chick to hatch in Gourd 4 was from an adopted egg.

One of the chicks in Gourd 12 was also from an "adopted" egg.

Here's four fresh faces that hatched yesterday, July 5.

I've titled this photo "Collapse." It appears that Baby Boy, on the right, has eaten himself into a coma. Actually, he was trying to move his head and toppled over in the process. I thought he looked hilarious. His mouth is full-to-overflowing with yummy, juicy, green bugs.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz