SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Have you had toenails removed?

caroline94535
10 years ago

Can you walk and get around as you did before? Are you glad you had the procedure or wish you had left things as they were?

I finally got a referral to see a podiatrist. He took x-rays and thoroughly examined my worn-out feet.

Amongst other ills, he wants to remove the sides of the nails on each big toe. He says he will cut the ingrown areas out and apply "a chemical" that will keep them from growing back. Being diabetic; I don't want to risk infections from having to constantly file, gouge, and pull on these deeply ingrown areas to keep them clean.

I also have bad/fallen/flat arches; memories of basic training are coming back to haunt me. He is making hard, solid plastic forms/inserts for me to wear. I wore them for the first 4-5 year of my military service. I wore them in office shoes, combat boots, running shoes, flat pumps, and high heels. I even put them in my bedroom slippers. I could walk, run, dance, anything, with them in the shoes. When I took them off I could hardly stand.

He also wants to remove the complete nails on each of my "second" toes, the ones next to the big toes. The nails are thick and almost impossible to cut or groom. This is not caused by a fungus, as I thought, but a result of my bad arches causing me to put pressure on these toes when I walk. Who'd a thunk? He took his time and explained everything to me and how the nail removal combined with the hard inserts will help my feet.

I also have heel spurs, which was a surprise to me. I told him of all the pain I have in my feet, the heels are of the least concern. They are not an issue at this time.

I knew I had arthritis in my feet; he pointed out the areas around the big toe and across the top of the feet. The bunions are minimal and he doesn't think I need to do anything for them now. Just think, I may have relief from most of my foot pain.

The X-Ray also showed that sometime along the way my left big toe had been broken and attempted to mend itself.

No wonder these footsies act up now and then.

This post was edited by caroline on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 17:22

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm