SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acey_gw

Frustrated! Handling Mom's AT&T. Rant/Vent/ in Florida

acey
15 years ago

History: Mom moved to senior community last August. Set her up with AT&T phone service. Basic, but I did want unlisted. Mom has dementia and will forget who calls, and may be the type to agree to solicitations.

Initial bills were consistent at about $25./mo. until February. In March, she had 9 calls to directory information, which added significantly to her bill. She does not recall using directory information, or operator assistance (of course not!) and I could find no evidence of it (numbers written down, etc.) I called them, and they agreed to deduct some of the calls as a courtesy. And they can't tell me what numbers were asked for.

In April, she decided she wanted her old computer back, and got them to send her a modem, and of course, they billed her for it. By this time, she acquired a gentleman friend, and all thoughts of computing went away. Plus he has one. She would not be able to remember how to log on anyway. So, I arranged to return the unopened modem, and get the credit. I also asked them to block her from directory assistance calls, of which 2 were made that month. Again, she has no recall. They explained that would be an initial $10.00 fee to start that, and then $4.95/month. (She is PAYING to NOT use a feature!!!!)

So, I'm thinking, OK, $25.00 per month plus the new $4.95 for blocking dir. info calls.

Her July statement just came and they are charging $73.57!!!!!

I see she is down for "unlimited nationwide calling basic monthly fee" and "worldwide value calling monthly fee. This is $30.87 out of the $73.

Of course, I didn't order that. There is a blurb in her bill about "Effective June 29, the monthly recurring charge for the unlimited nationwide calling basic plan will inc. by $2.00, etc., etc."

In her defense, she is not the type who makes phone calls, rarely calls me or my brother. On my last talk with AT&T, the nice lady I had spoken with seemed to really get whet we needed: basic service, unlisted, and block 411 (dir info). I thought we had it finally figured out....this is an old lady who does not own a computer, does not make calls regularly, and has little if any need to call long distance EVER!

And of course, I try to call them today, but I get the "automated services are available, but we are closed on Sundays". So more of my work time hours tomorrow to get to the bottom of AT& T billing. I tried to change products or services on line, just to see what I could do for her, but it was very vague, not user friendly, and I really want to talk to a person to figure out where this latest long distance mumbo-jumbo came from.

Too bad it's a monopoly...I'm sure other seniors may be having heart attacks when they open their bills!!

Does anyone here work for AT&T who can offer advice?

All she needs is the most basic service, an unlisted number, and prevention from dialing dir. info which she would forget she did.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Acey

Comments (14)