SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

First Purple Martin Fledges at my colony

caroline94535
11 years ago

I woke yesterday morning to Purple Martin pandemonium spreading from my gourd rack, across the street, and into the neighbor's driveway.

I have the widest age-range ever in this year's nestlings; there are chicks from fledge-size to only a few days old. My first thought was the neighbors' fireworks scared the birds so badly some of the older ones jumped. Also, like everywhere else in the country, it's been so unseasonable hot and humid I've been fearing jumpers because of the heat.

I watched about 25 PMs in the neighbor's driveway. (I have 15 pair this year.) They were fluttering, fussing, dive-bombing, and dashing back-and-forth across the road and up to the gourds. It was very hot; I knew there was nothing I could do for any jumpers, and I couldn't risk bringing the rack down considering the ages of some of the chicks and the heat.

After about 30 minutes of absolute chaos, they all flew off, circled the neighborhood, returned, and then most of them landed on the gourds. A few of my New Fledges (young birds able to fly and leave the nest of their own accord) bumped into the gourds, circled again and finally landed properly. One kept coming up under the gourds and flying into the bottom of a gourd's porch. He looked so silly.

Peace and calm returned to the colony as the older birds took turns flying back and forth with the fledges. I haven't noticed any SYs (last years chicks, now sub-adults) attacking them, yet, and everyone was perched on top of the arms last evening. Based on the ages of the chicks, I will be having fledges spread over the next 3-4 weeks. I love the long seasons.

AND there's more! Guess what? It's 64 degrees, cloudy, and was raining - really raining, gully-washer style - in the early morning. My chickies will have a fresh breath of air today.

Comments (8)