SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Cancer Doc Says to Lay Off Cell Phones

alisande
15 years ago

I just heard this on the noon news, and then my son emailed the following from the Wall Street Journal. I've always been cautious about cell phone use and have had concerns about family members who use them extensively, particularly young ones like my DGD.

Cancer Doc Tells Colleagues to Lay Off Cellphones

In a startling warning on cellphone safety, the head of a cancer research center in Pittsburgh told faculty and staff to curb their use of mobile phones because of a possible risk of cancer.

The alarm came from Ronald Herberman, director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, the Associated Press reports.

His advice, contained in a memo to 3,000 faculty and staff, says kids should only use cellphones for emergencies and adults should keep the phones away from their heads by using speakerphones or a wireless headset.

His warning is based on existing studies and also, in part, on "early unpublished data," according to the AP. His stance is in conflict with the preponderance of scientific work that hasnÂt demonstrated a link between talking on cellphones and cancer. Some studies have suggested cancer risks, however.

Of course, proving a negativeÂespecially in the field of cancer causationÂis notoriously difficult. The FDAÂs standing advice to consumers says, "the available scientific evidence does not show that any health problems are associated with using wireless phones. There is no proof, however, that wireless phones are absolutely safe." For more, check out the FDAÂs Q&A on cellphones.

Comments (9)