SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I really dislike having an outside cat. Really.

alisande
11 years ago

I never thought I'd end up with an outdoor cat. But last year a stray gave birth in my ice house and stayed on after I had her spayed. (I kept one of the kittens, and the other two got loving homes as well.) We call her Bonzi (because she was exceedingly skinny when she first showed up, plus my son likes the TV show "Bones"), and she lives on the porch. In winter she has a dog house on the porch, and now she simply appropriates the porch furniture. She eats well, but she's a fierce hunter. That's the part I hate the most.

House wrens have raised babies in a hanging bird house on my porch for 30+ years. I don't know what's going to happen this year when they start taking flying lessons. Bonzi is likely to kill them off one by one. It's awful! Every morning--all day, actually--I watch the parents bringing food to those babies, and I think, God help them when they leave their nest.

If anyone has any ideas for me, please share. Bringing her in the house was impossible. She was/is so seriously territorial and protective of her babies that she would fight with my indoor cats through the windows. This persists today; I have big pieces of cardboard covering the bottom half of the inside windows. Ugly but necessary to prevent battles at the glass. Even so, my male cat, Pogo, is terribly stressed by her much of the time.

Here's one of the wren parents, photographed today.

Comments (21)