SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosebudms

New background color hurts my eyes

rosebudms
12 years ago

I don't complain a lot, usually, but tonight when I logged on, the new red background hurt my eyes. I cannot read the blue printing on the red background. I wrote a note to the powers that be, and I am going away until they get it fixed. Best wishes to everyone for a good weekend.

Comments (85)

• cynic
    12 years ago

lindakathy, yes it can be happening to the 1/2 dozen or so that have experienced it. Several times people have come on complaining for various maladies and upon reboot, it "magically" disappears. If they're willing to reboot and come back and say it's still there, then I'll consider something else. Otherwise I stand by my theory that it's a video issue. And I do think it's most likely caused by a memory shortage.

Malware is possible but I'm not running off claiming "Good Times" is on the prowl again! Not all malware turns off your programs either.

And also folks, said it before and I'll say it again, it's important to realize that a virus is not the same as a trojan, which is different from a worm and various other malware. Checking for a virus when you have a trojan, worm, etc is like testing for diabetes when you have cancer or a broken arm. It ain't the same.

• zofie
    12 years ago

I ran both SuperAntiSpyware & the MalwareBytes, nothing was found.

If it was a memory issue, then it would have an affect on all my applications.

The issue is with this site only. And as someone has already mentioned above, it's probably being caused by one of their ads. But I don't think it's a virus or malware on our computers.

• Related Discussions

Bi-color in my Blue Eyes?

Q

Comments (9)
    (a) "Will I see more of this on my Blue Eyes or just this one time?" - very difficult to predict, probably just this one. (b) "And if it is reverting, would that mean that through time, it will be showing the red/white blooms more than the red/lilac ones" - also difficult to predict, more than likely 'yes'. (c)"Since I'm in Seattle, are fuschias considered perennials? " As you are zone 8, it will need winter protection, it won't survive outside. If you don't have a heated greenhouse (45f) but can keep it in a well lit postion in a cool room at the end of the summer cut it back by at least two thirds, keep moist but not wet. It will soon start to shoot new growth again, then you can start pinching out throughout the winter to give you an even bigger flowering plant next year. Repot in the spring, not necessarily into a bigger pot, remove some of the old roots, approx, one third and give fresh soil. - Kath:)
    ...See More

New Eyes In My Garden

Q

Comments (20)
    Thank you all for you very kind comments. Ann: the parents are as follows: 1)(Border Music x Reyna) X First Knight 2) (Dragon king x Great White) x (Endless Sky x Lady Betty Fretz 3)Lee Pickles x Sense of Wonder 4)Blueberry Baroque x Sense of Wonder 5) Ageless Beauty x Lady Betty Fretz
    ...See More

Flash hurt Hummers' Eyes?

Q

Comments (3)
    Rasakili, Thank you so very much for the great info about their eyes. I had been so worried I might have done some damage ever since my husband brought it up. Confused, you say? LOL Then they'll fit right in with the rest of the fur and feathered babes in this family. Again, Thank you! Tracey, Thank you so much! I honestly didn't think I got anything in the picture but the feeder. My camera has a long delay and most times I get pics of visitorless (is that a word? ) feeders. When I transferred from camera to computer, this shot was a very nice surprise.
    ...See More

Bathroom Color Scheme, my brain hurts (really long)

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, forgot to mention that tonight when I was working over there, I had an accident. I have paper runners laid down to keep the freshly varnished floors clean (I have 2 more coats to do and don't want them all tracked up). Anyway, as old homes do, there is a huge square hole in the floor of my bedroom where the cold air return is. Yup, you guessed it, I fell right in. The paper was laid over it and I walked right in to it. I busted the duct underneath and had a hard time pulling myself out. Ironically I hurt the leg that didn't go in far worse than the one that did. The one that fell through got all cut up from the duct but the other one took the force of the fall on the wood floor and my ankle is twisted and my knee is black. I really love this house because you know what, I don't care. :) It's all good. In a couple weeks I can rest my weary broken body in my new home!!! The accident, however, does prevent me from going to the decorating store tommorow and finding inspiration for everything. I'll probably spend half the day with ice on the knee and the other half hobbling around talking to my friend who is coming to take measurements to move the toilet over for me.
    ...See More
  • Lily316
    12 years ago

It's white now but on a few occasions on different sites on GW it was red. This is a brand new computer with Norton and Firefox and the red is nowhere but on GW.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

This problem maybe related to outdated browsers, or computers with not enough memory.

Also, color shifts can be caused by minute corrosion on the contacts in the connector for the monitor cable to video card. To check the monitor conector, loosen its screws so that it can be pulled/pushed in and out a little bit. Exercise the connector, retighten the screws and see if there is difference. These connector screw do not need to be super tight, just snug enough to prevent motion.

Connector problems increase with summer weather and increased humidity.

• golfergrrl
    12 years ago

And I'll say again that a dozen people don't all have memory issues at the same time which cause the same problem.
    It's a glitch at GW and that's that.
    And, Debby, I did have a trojan that disabled my Malwarebytes and Antivirus. I had to access them via safe mode. I also once had a virus that my updated AVG didn't catch. I read AVG the riot act and they replied with, "well, we can't catch them all". *sigh*
    Another good program to keep running in the background is
    WinPatrol, which uses very little resources, yet is very effective in monitoring your system. There is a free version.

Here is a link that might be useful: WinPatrol

• lazypup
    12 years ago

It is not a virus, malware or problems with your browser, when the red comes up if you read the BS that comes with it you will see is a proposed change frm GW. You can also change the red to a brown or blue, but they are even worse...Bottom line,,somebody needs to tell GW,,,,

IF IT AIN;T BROKE,,,,DON'T FIX IT

• zofie
    12 years ago

I no longer get the red background, looks like GW took care of the glitch.

Lindakathy, I'll checkout that WinPatrol. Thanks for the link.

• User
    12 years ago

Lazypup proved me right. If you had a virus, who is to say you didn't get it from another site?

Just had to get that off my chest.

I'm off to do some good for humanity today: donating blood. Which I think is a little more important than knowing who is right and who is wrong. (I'm right ;-) )Did I say that out loud? hehehee

Have a good day all!

• vicki7
    12 years ago

I haven't seen red either, thankfully. Gardenweb has GOT to be the glitchiest (is that even a word?) ad-infested website I've ever seen. Such creatively aggressive ads too. Now all my ads are blocked by Adblock Plus on Firefox, so I'm hoping nothing has 'installed' itself on my computer.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I have a Macbook and use Safari and it's happening here also. It can start out white and when I click on a post the page sometimes turns red. If I click on Bookmarks and start KT over again it will come back to the white background. It only happens on GW.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

lazypup, you said, "when the red comes up if you read the BS that comes with it you will see is a proposed change from GW" - where do you see that? I don't see anything like that when the red comes up.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I just noticed that it seems to be only on pages that have the paint ad at the top of the page.

Maybe the paint company is showing us how using color makes a difference...it sure does. LOL

• Momof6
    12 years ago

OMG...Saw red this am...did not last long...never the less it was there...

• Tally
    12 years ago

Well, this is no virus.

I'm seeing it on several different forums. It seems to occur with an HGTV advertisement for Sherwin Williams paint. There's a little drop down that you can choose from - it says choose your style and if you select "Urban Organic" the background changes to green. If you select "Global Spice" the background goes to charcoal grey.

• cheri2008
    12 years ago

yep.... seeing red here....

• golfergrrl
    12 years ago

Sure is obvious now. Sure glad that I get no ads at all here. IE. Only popup blocker. Don't know why. Not going to ask.

• sue_va
    12 years ago

I'm not seeing red, but something is causing the text to run all the way across the page.

I guess it is the Sherwin Williams ad, which I now saw above. Just like some over-size pictures do.

Sue

• golfergrrl
    12 years ago

It's the screenshot which is causing wider text, not the ad itself.

• country_bumpkin_al
    12 years ago

I saw red once today and it was like the screen shot above!!

• bunnylover21
    12 years ago

I had that red last night but seems to be gone today, thank heavens!

• User
    12 years ago

Tally, I bow to you! YOU PROVED ME RIGHT!

Thank you. I'm done with this thread and expect someone to own up to being wrong. :-)

• Chi
    12 years ago

She didn't really prove you right. Some people said virus, some said malware, some said browser settings, some said none of the above, etc. etc. That's how it works when you're troubleshooting. Throwing out ideas and seeing what works. There's still some valuable information here even if it wasn't about the ad in question.

I think two posts bragging about how right you were and expecting the people with other ideas to "own" up to it is being really obnoxious towards people who were just trying to help. I'm sure the OP appreciates everyone's responses who took the time to try to help her.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Tally - thanks for posting the screen shot. Luckily I didn't experience the red on my computers but I was curious - especially when it seemed to be a matter of bragging rights. It is a shame the GW seems to have issues with their ads more than any other site.

• country_bumpkin_al
    12 years ago

I had it again this morning! You'd think they'd remove the stupid ad!:(

• Chi
    12 years ago

Depending on which ad network they're using, it might not be up to them which ads are running. However, with enough negative feedback, I'm sure they can request it be removed from the rotation. I wouldn't expect anything before Monday though. Most media planners don't work on the weekends.

• lindyluwho
    12 years ago

Not a Window's problem. I'm using a Mac.

It comes and goes.

Linda

• User
    12 years ago

chi83, I said the red on the screen was not a virus. If anyone had a virus, it was not from that ad. A lot of ads from this site stretch out and then shrink back to size again. There is usually an X in a corner to close them. In the screen shot, I didn't see that X.

The argument was: the red caused a virus. IT DIDN'T. It was an AD. Not a virus. Not malware. Nothing. Just an AD.

I'm not a IT professional. And I can be wrong. But I'm not wrong about this.

If anyone had a virus, they got it from something else.

sigh.......... I just posted again whereas I said I wouldn't. See? I can be wrong... :-)

• Chi
    12 years ago

I think we can all agree that it was an ad. Most people who were posting advice probably hadn't seen the ad yet. I didn't see it myself until this morning because ads work on rotations. It's pretty obvious what it is, but then again I work for an ad agency so I see these stupid ads all day. :) But people who don't or who aren't as familiar with computers would naturally consider different reasons for the problem, which is a good thing. And, like I mentioned, there's some helpful links and information here for people who do come across viruses or malware.

The point of my post was that your little victory dance, shouting out how right you were in multiple posts and wanting people who were wrong to admit it is a little off-putting to those who put in time and effort into trying to help someone else out. The only reason I'm saying something is because a lot of people seek out advice on these forums and I would hate for people to think they couldn't post in fear of having their noses rubbed in it if they turn out to be incorrect.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Still here when I popped in this morning!

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Still here today on a different forum on GW.

• sherwoodva
    12 years ago

Tally, I agree that it is the Sherwin Williams ad. I wrote a note to the powers that be, asking them to fix it. I think we all need to ask them to fix it.

• User
    12 years ago

This is my last post on this board. I promise. I was going to send this in an email, but decided since I'm going anyways I'll post my feelings here:

Hello! (Chi83)

I saw your reply to me in the red thread. Let me explain: I was responding to the people who "claim" to be It Professionals and know what they're talking about.

I have given advice over and over again, in plain simple easy to understand words. I give links to websites (see the one where the lady wants to buy a new computer but doesn't know how to move her files). I get ignored because I'm not an IT professional and apparently don't know what I'm talking about. Instead they want replies from these people who give very long dragged out responses that not only don't help those who aren't computer savvy, it makes them look like they're trying to say, "I'm smart, you're stupid". But instead, I think it makes them look like pompus you-know-whats.

I knew from the get-go it was not a virus. *IF* anyone got a virus, it wasn't from that. And it was JUST an ad. And yes, I would like that "IT professional" who "knows what I'm talking about" to admit that she too, can be WRONG.

But if a group of people who seem to act like sheep on that site (afraid to speak their own mind), want to believe what they read from the first person who responds, then let them.

I have now removed the GW from my bookmarks and won't be reading anymore about this anyways. Was I happy? Of course I am. Do I agree with people just to keep the peace. No bloody way. Can I admit when I'm wrong or have given the wrong advice. You bet your sweet bippie I can! I just don't kiss butt. I don't follow the crowd like a sheep. I gloat. And damn, I good at it. Sometimes. I usually ask for a cookie. :-)

Anyways, I'm off to clean another room and do more laundry.

Debby

• Chi
    12 years ago

I would be willing to bet it's not your lack of being an IT professional but rather your sarcastic and occasionally condescending tone that makes people ignore you. And, by what you've said, you're okay with how you talk to people so I'm not sure why it surprises or irritates you that no one listens. I'm confident that if you replied in a thorough and less defensive way, people would be more responsive.

In any case, I've said what I wanted to say. Clearly you don't see it in the same way and that's fine. Good luck to you in your exodus. My apologies to everyone else for derailing the conversation.

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

Here is a link to one of the several posts on ads and how to get rid of them.

The particular ad doesn't matter. The post by Ravencajun with links to Firefox's adblock plus and easylist does.

Those two simple downloads let most of us enjoy GW ad free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post from Computer Help Forum

• chisue
    12 years ago

Have 'seen red' ONLY on GW Forums yesterday and today. Have re-booted twice; it's still here and ONLY in conjunction with the paint ad. I posted to GW, asking them to pull the ad.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the red nightmare! The Sherwin-Williams paint ad appears to be embedded within an HGTV ad. I was over on the Home Decor forum on Friday and tried to click on that ad to make it go away and the screen turned red. Since then it's been on and off across the GW. I was reading this thread through a red screen and clicked on Breenthumb's link. When I clicked back here just now, the red was gone.

I have a new iMac with loads of memory and use Safari. Am also going to contact the GW honchos.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

I sent them a note as well!

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I may never buy Sherwin-Williams paint again!

• zofie
    12 years ago

Thanks Breenthumb & Ravencajun for posting the links to Firefox Adblock Plus.

For those using FireFox, follow the links above & install the Adblock Plus. Works like a champ!

• jeaninwa
    12 years ago

oh..but if you click on the little window near the top, in the original post, you can change you screen to some ever so lovely other colors too...just not white..loL

• Tally
    12 years ago

Good grief people - be careful what you post! The Malware scare is on the Garden Party site now:

"O.K., I just checked in and the main page of posts came up RED! What bothers me is that on The Kitchen Table Forum, someone said it's a "malware" type of virus that virus protection programs--even Norton--can't detect. The suggestion was to download a "malware detection program", which I tried to do, but I think my computer is getting to the point where things take forever--it just grinds and grinds, so I'm not sure if I downloaded it or not. However, I ran my Norton complete scan and it said all is O.K.--but I'm still seeing red"

I posted the screenshot and suggested they contact Garden Web and ask them to remove the ad. If you see anyone else panicked about Malware on other forums, please tell them it's just an ad and to ask GW to remove the ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rumor Spreads!...

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

I use FireFox and I have Adblock Plus
    installed and I still see red. I don't
    get the pop-up that comes with it that
    invites you to change color, but I do
    still get the ad itself and the red color.

• danihoney
    12 years ago

I believe Chloecat said those with a red background and blue text. She also said IF. I do not think she was seeing what others saw, merely troubleshooting and trying to be helpful. God forbid someone should try and share some expertise with those who have none.

Chloecat, you have my sympathy.

• Lindsey_CA
    12 years ago

"God forbid someone should try and share some expertise with those who have none."

I think cholecat's problem was that she spoke as if her answer was the be-all, end-all of possibilities. She said, "I'm an IT professional. I know what I'm talking about."

Well, I'm an IT professional, too, but I don't profess to have the be-all, end-all answers when it comes to spyware, viruses, trojans, worms, etc. My expertise is in Microsoft Active Directory. But, by some folks' way of thinking, I can say anything I want and claim I'm right simply because "I'm an IT professional." Doesn't work that way.

And, as it turned out, chloecat was not right. The folks who saw the red background saw it not because their computer is infected with a virus, spyware, malware, trojans, or worms, but because they had the back luck to get the Sherwin-Williams Paint advertisement.

• danihoney
    12 years ago

Hmmm I didn't assume she was saying she was right and they were wrong. She just said if it was red with blue text it's malware. The whole i know what I'm talking about was regarding the fact that a virus scan wouldn't detect malware. She never said "I see it too and it's a virus".

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

You're welcome, Zofie and glad that helped, but not sure that will be enough in the long run without Easylist. They seem to work together.

Oldgardner and Zofie, I remember dealing with this myself a while back and it worked much better with Easylist, but I see that link in my post doesn't show how/where to download it. I searched other posts but it came up the same way. I'll keep looking.

I don't have expertise but learn a lot by reading at the Computer Forum--enough to keep bad things off my computer and fix them when I must. Very good helpful people over there.

• rosebudms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This has certainly been enlightening and interesting. So many of you are so helpful and smart! There seems to always be something new to learn each day. (Unfortunately, I also forget a lot each day!) So, many thanks to all of you for your kind efforts!

Rose in MS

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I wonder what a company is trying to do when they mess with us like that. My computer is two weeks old and is the top of the line and I thought it was infected already. Makes me mad just like the JCP ad did months ago when it would not leave until seconds went by. I won't buy from that store now not that I ever did buy much, but I do buy SW paint.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I've had the red screen off and on since around thursday or friday,no matter where i go on the GW,be it cottage gardens,calif gardening whatever.It seems to keep popping up and it's hard for me to read as well.Also have to keep scrolling across the screen to see all the post.

My computor is only a couple months old,so i know that's not the problem and besides it doesn't happen at any other sites but the GW.
    Kathi

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

as breenthumb said you must have the easylist along with adbolck plus on your firefox to be rid of all of the ads.
    you can get the easylist here
    EasyList
    once you have ad block plus on your firefox simply click on that link and select add easylist to adblock plus.
    Anytime there is an ad that is visible there will be somewhere along it's edge a little pop up tab that says block just click that and you can then block that type of ad also, this is a feature of ad block plus.

Thanks for posting the actual screen shot of this paint ad, upon seeing it, it is very obvious that it is a part of the ad and the options to select your colors is also a part of the ad, one of the most obnoxious ad's I have ever seen. So apparently firefox, adblock plus and easylist do stop this ad since I had no idea what it looked like.
    When things like this crop up it is always most helpful to give every detail about it so that not as much guessing has to take place in trouble shooting. Once the screen shot was shown it was quite obvious, but for those of us that do not see them we had no idea it was part of a paint ad till that info was finally provided.