SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janie_ga

dental crown questions

janie_ga
15 years ago

I got a crown on a bottom front tooth about 2.5 years ago. Went to the dentist today about another tooth. He mentioned that the black dots on the crown are where the metal has worn through. I had no idea what they were but no one can see that tooth since I don't have a "toothy" grin so I hadn't thought much about it. He also mentioned that there was wear and possibly a stress fracture (or something) on the overlapping tooth on the top (one of the big front teeth). I asked if he thought the top tooth would fall apart because of the fracture and he didn't think it would, at least not right now. Cosmetically, I couldn't care less about the dots so I will not get it replaced unless something painful happens to require attention- the tooth chews food fine. I was more concerned about the health of the top tooth. When I got this crown, the root was great so I have never had a root canal or anything.

How long have your crowns lasts?

How bad does it hurt when they yank the old one off?

How much do replacement crowns cost (no insurance)?

I went to the Dental School for the exam so if I were to get it replaced, I expect they would be cheaper than a private dentist but I have no idea what to expect (current crown was paid by previous insurance).

I am hoping nothing will need to be done until I graduate and have dental insurance again but I should put some money back just incase!

Oh, the original tooth in question is fine. No cavity under the filling. Just a strange crevice that I can feel with my tongue and gets a little sensitive.

Comments (3)