14 years ago

Gosselin divorce papers have been filed

It's a shame. I wish they could have worked on it. :(

Danielle

Here is a link that might be useful: Gosselin Divorce Papers Filed

Comments (60)

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I guess I am in the minority. I agree with Paula.

Sure Kate can be a little overbearing and anal about things.. but if she were carefree and let the house become a pigstye.. you'd be faulting her for that. They are people with faults (like YOU and ME), but I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances and I applaud them for that.

Not saying I agree with everything they have done, people do make mistakes... fortunately most of ours aren't caught on camera or videotape.

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

I haven't been watching this show, but I did tune in tonight.

There was so much repeating that I think they could have got it all into 15 min.

Two things that I noticed that haven't already been mentioned are :
    Not one word was mentioned about counseling or seeking advise.

They both kept saying their main concern was MY kids ( never our) and then she said what bothered her the most was being seen as a failure.

It looked to me to be a situation that could be "Fixed" if they could put down their pride and get help.
    Just a bit of my opinion!

• Related Discussions

I want to punch Jon Gosselin in the freaking nose...

Q

Comments (25)
    Time to beat up the Gosselins again?? If I was followed around by a camera all day and editors cut and picked what was most interesting... I'd probably look pretty b*tchy and mean too. I admit to 'ordering' my DH around a bit (sorry, but most guys just don't seem to look around and see what needs to be done... excluding the men that post here of course :-). Yes, Jon is immature. He married young and feels he missed out on something. I've seen it a million times... once upon a time I was even married to a similar one. I think those kids will be just fine. They ARE loved by both parents. Plenty of kids come from divorced families (about half of all kids actually). And yes, these kids are in the limelight and they will be most likely until they reach adulthood. Money from the show will get them a good education and a decent start in lives of their own. Life could be worse. Everybody is worried about what being on the show and the divorce will do to these kids... what about when they get on a computer and read all the terrible things that are being said on message boards about their parents?? Barb said it well, "None of us REALLY know any facts about this family. We only know what we've been shown on TV (ratings) and in tabloids and magazines (sales). I feel sorry for the kids, but it seems to me the best thing we can do for them is to quit talking abut the family. Just my thoughts."
    ...See More

Murdoch Mysteries (spoiler for new episode!)

Q

Comments (9)
    awwww, chessey..... then you're spoiling your future viewing by reading here! :p We started watching it somewhere in the middle of season 6. We had to see a LOT of back episodes to figure out what was going on. lol! I don't recall ever seeing a murder mystery show with so much soap opera to it. :O) Where are you located that they'd be available to you by DVD but not TV?
    ...See More

Questions about Death in Pemberley (spoiler warning)

Q

Comments (4)
    Is this the same book/TV play that over here is called Death Comes to Pemberley by P D James? I haven't read the book as I never enjoy these add-on/what-might-have-happened-next stories. I did watch the TV adaptation which didn't make much impact. As Rosefolly says the actress playing Elizabeth, Anna Maxwell-Martin, although very talented, is in her late thirties and probably too old for the part and seemed to have to stand at the top of a long staircase and shout far too often. The only other bits I can remember are scenes set in the woods and for the life of me I can't recall what anyone was doing there. Sorry not to be of more use!
    ...See More

Question about "The Summer Before the War". (possible spoiler)

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello, I came across a passage in an interview with the author at the back of the book that may be helpful to the question about Agatha and Daniel. I'll just quote Helen Simonson's words: I related to Agatha both in her long and close marriage to John and in her love for her two nephews (I’ve been married thirty years this year and have two grown sons) What do you think? I just started the book so have no opinion of my own. Gean
    ...See More
  • momrox4
    14 years ago

I've watched this show pretty regularly for the last couple of years. I think it was inevitable that Jon would get fed up with her constant criticism....remember the time during an interview that she berated him for the way he was BREATHING???? There aren't too many guys that would put up with that for as long as Jon has. And on national television no less.
    And hey, what's up with Jon's earrings? Haven't seen those before. Part of his new image? I got the impression that while he was sad about the kids, he is relieved to be getting away from her and probably going to sow his wild oats. I cried at one point watching the show; their family will be in my prayers.

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

kathleen44-I don't know how much of the show you have watched but kate is always doing stuff with her kids.For instance on the show tonight while they were putting up the Crazy Houses for the kids she had a picnic lunch on the lawn with them and mentioned that they do that often during the summer.She said she loves sitting in the warm sun with her kids.Jon didn't even join them because he was too busy being an @$$ about where to put the houses.He wanted them way off from the house in the woods! What was he thinking?? I would be scared to death to let them play out there,that far from the house,but "he cleared the land and that is where he wanted them!" The people putting them together finally talked him into putting them closer to the house.It's like he wants to do it his way or else! He even said something to the effect that he has never been able to do whatever he wanted to do in the last 10 years but now he can! Sounds like he wants to sow some wild oats! I felt really sorry for Kate.I don't really care for her but from what I got out of the show tonight this has devastated her.I really wish they could/would get counseling (and who knows,maybe they already have or will) but I don't think Jon wants to try to patch things up.I think he is enjoying his philandering and his ego has gotten too big for him to handle sensibly.He even said tonight that he never had the self confidence to think that anyone would be interested in him! This didn't happen overnight or even after the show started and I think it is unfair to put all the blame on just one.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I've watched every show since the day it came on and loved all the members of the family. The truth is that these two very young parents were given a gigantic job to do and it was 24/7 which required both to work together. At some point that broke down and, in mho, John found someone else. I've never seen a man leave a marriage without someone waiting in the wings for him. Time will tell. I find it very very sad as they didn't have time for eight years to let their marriage develop, they were too busy with the kids. Personally I'd have been burnt out the first year alone. Now I'll pray for all of them and watch and see how they make out. No doubt about it, those kids are LOVED.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

It looks like Jon is moving to New York. I thought he'd stay here in PA to be closer to the kids. I think Kate deserves just what she got. Imagine..they renewed their vows less than a year ago and now they're getting a divorce. It's all about the money, the trip to Hawaii, the little playhouses, the perfect brand new outfits the kids wear all the time, the haircuts, the teethwhitening, the hair plugs, the hideous hair cut. And the happiest they were was probably when they lived in the little split level near me.

• intherain
    14 years ago

Just because they are on a so-called "reality" show doesn't mean any of us know them or what's really going on. It's all what the producers want to show.

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

All I can say is Thank Goodness it was Kate that took charge during the last 10 years and not Jon. The children would have been totally unrully and lost in the woods if Jon had been able to do things his way. Although I doubt he would have been able to make a decision on his own. He whined about Kate bossing him but he let it happen and she knew someone had to take charge. He is a child himself and unfortunately he let Kate mother him too.I wish they could have set the show aside and got some help and worked on their marriage. But apparently money is now more important. Just how much do they feel they need to raise those kids. The children don't really care about where they live. I'm sure given the choice they'd rather have a small house and both parents!
    Years from now Jon & Kate will realize this!

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

"The truth is that these two very young parents were given a gigantic job to do and it was 24/7 which required both to work together."

Umm, am I missing something here? Two sets of multiples and fertility drugs=hard work. They brought this on themselves when they had 8 kids in a short amount of time, and now they're crying about it. Suck it up, stop sniveling and deal with it because you've got 8 kids. And their lives aren't what I'd call "bad".

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

No, I don't think I was being too harsh at all. My opinion was not meant specifically for posters on this thread but mainly to all the critics who have made a career out of bashing this family. They used to have a thread a TWOP which can be a pretty harsh television message board but they had to get rid of it since people were so nasty, especially about the kids.

While this family has problems, they aren't making all that many more mistakes than most other families - we just get to see it. At least these kids won't have to waste $$$ trying to remember why they're screwed up when they go to therapy - they can just pop in a DVD.

I see a lot of love in that family. As much as people criticize their on-camera parenting, I can only imagine it would have been much worse for the kids without the show. There would have still been the anger between Jon and Kate with absolutely no filter on it. They would have basically been stuck in a small house for the past five years. Those kids are pretty sweet for the most part and that didn't happen by accident.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I've watched most of the series, the children are just adorable. I agree with hayjud about the counseling- I sure hope they get some. I doubt the marriage would have lasted even without the stress of the show and 8 kids in 3 years. Jon appears to be laidback to a fault and Kate has grown increasingly controlling. I do wish she'd let the kids get dirty once in a while. Gee whiz, they're 5 years old and still sitting in high chairs and wearing bibs. Her idea of dirt is play doh. I can't imagine how she'll handle those years of baseball and soccer and all of those dirty uniforms.

One thing struck me about the disagreement about where to put the crooked houses. I think Kate was right about the fact that they should be close enough to the house so that an adult can supervise without having to go off into the woods. But why on earth did she wait until the truck had arrived with the houses and after Jon had prepared a spot in the woods? Neither of them are acting mature- this was something that should have been discussed early on.

I wish them the best.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Sad any time a marriage fails. I saw the kids, they are all so cute. Somehow, I think Kate will land on her feet, alley cats always do.

• gardenspice
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm rarely this judgmental, but I'm going to say it. Yep, Kate can be harsh, but I can't help but observe that it often seemed as if she was raising nine children.
    The fact that he said "I'm 32 and have my whole life in front of me." and the he felt "excited about this new chapter of my life" made me sick. I guess being a fulltime parent to eight kids and a spouse was a whole lot less intersting than hanging out with 23 year old in bars and on ski vacations. On the other hand, He kept that job for almost 10 years which is a record for him.

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

I would have liked to have seen the last words spoken be that for the well being and peace
    of the children the cameras will be turned off and the show will end.
    I can only imagine how those kids will feel years from now when they see that video
    of how their parents announced to the world that they were splitting up.
    Somehow they will all get through this. It's just to bad that they have chosen to make it all happen on public television.

• hale_bopp
    14 years ago

He's immature and she's b__chy. Hopefully the kids can turn out normal somehow. :)

Blessings,
    Haley

• zeetera
    14 years ago

He got married at 23 and is now dating a 23 yr old. Guess he wants to pick up where he left off from when he got married.

He seems adamant about the departure which makes the rumours appear true.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

The way I see it, is that she constantly put him down, both in the talks on the sofa, and in the filming with the family.

He just took all the bs she dished out on camera, but I'm wondering if the rage wasn't building, and he wasn't letting her have it (arguing in front of the children) then off camera.

I feel like she ran him off with the way she treated and talked to him. He was 'over' having their lives 'out there' and no longer being Jon, but instead Jon of Jon and Kate plus eight.

I see the rating dropping off drastically here soon, sometime after next weeks episode of covering the 10 years of their a marriage together. I imagine viewers will quickly see how the relationship deteriorated until he could no longer say anything that she did not dispute or correct him on.

I think Kate sees the end of a very good thing, knowing the show most probably will not go on as well as it has in the past. I really cannot see TLC being able to have 40 shows with them separated, and still have many viewers. Part of the appeal of the show was that they were a loving family, with cute lovable children.

Jon can now go on with his life, still being a great father to his children. He can go back to some degree to being plain ole Jon, except the media will be following and reporting on his every move and step. He is so 'over' being famous, but Kate seems to want to remain and be very much in the limelight.

With them having shared custody, and the children staying in the house, I imagine that neither one will have to pay any support, at least not for a while.

Sue...sad they have filed for divorce

• lindasc
    14 years ago

I think Kate has been too much of a boss to Jon, he probably feels like a child instead of an adult. Wish they could work things out for the childrens sake. Sad.

• clubm
    14 years ago

With all being said about Kate true. I still think she is
    the better parent for the children. I wouldn't have wanted
    those crooked house as far back in the woods either. Men
    just don't think at times. Also,his weining over being 23
    when he got married Pleazeee!! Kate was also young too. Him
    starting a new life get your priroties straight you've have
    8 children that should come first. I guess there are two
    sides to every divorce. I think Jon want to sow some wlld oats.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

After a rerun next week , they are going on hiatus till August. Maybe or maybe not it will return.

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

I just went on the Crooked House website and saw the price of the custom houses. $2,500+ each! Times four houses = $10,000+ for the four houses the Gosselins bought their kids.
    I think maybe they should have spent that money on a marriage and family counselor to try and figure out how they could work things out for their family's sake.
    Jon and Kate seem more intent on spending money to "fix" things than on what's really important, which is the well-being of their family. Makes me want to puke.

• momrox4
    14 years ago

It's probably a safe bet that they didn't pay a single nickel for those crooked houses, just like they don't pay for those lavish vacations and for things like the brand new front loading washer and dryer and the kitchen appliances .... those companies are getting advertising big time.

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

I read this earlier. It is a partial list of some of the things they have recieved.
    Wonder if they got 1099s for this stuff and will pay taxes on it all! LOL
    Free beds
    - Front-loader washing machines
    - New furniture
    - Free solar panels for "Going Green" episode
    - Clothes from Gymboree and Gap
    - Mady & Cara birthday at American Girl Place (2 dolls and birthday package for 2 adults & 2 kids): $710
    - Trip to Florida Key's for Jon's 30th birthday
    -Tickets to Dutch Wonderland amusement park: $309.50
    -1/2 an organic cow from Natural Acres Farm: $1,395.00
    -Tickets to Philadelphia Zoo: $104.00
    -Tickets to Walt Disney World: $654.00 per day
    - Utah house rental (estimate: $5,000), ski lift tickets $72 for six days), ski school lessons ($140 per child)
    - Upright piano, which they got rid of when they moved into their new $1.1 million home : $5,550-$6,350
    - Violin: $100-$300
    - Old house re-carperted
    -Crayola Factory Tour: $90.00
    -Teeth Whitening (for Jon & Kate): $1,310 (average price for 2 adults)
    -Hair plugs (Jon): $5,200 (average cost)
    -Sesame Street Place tickets: $509.50
    -Day with Thomas the Tank Engine: $180.00
    -Beach trip to North Carolina, house rental, Jeep tour
    -Sight & Sound Christian theatre tickets: $236.00
    -SkyBox at Phillies game
    -LegoLand tickets: $550.00
    -San Diego Zoo tickets: $278.00
    -Grand Wailea Resort (Hawaii) for 2008 vow renewal: Suites range from $725-$1,080 per night.
    -2 purebred German Shepherd puppies: $1,000-$3,000 per dog
    - Please Touch Museum tickets: $150.00
    - Giants grocery store: $5,000 in gift cards and a year's supply of diapers

• Lily316
    14 years ago

Quick someone add it up. No wonder Kate wants the loot to continue. I knew she got free clothes from the Gap because I saw the logo. I knew of half the trips but the one to Hawaii was the biggest farce. It was not that long ago and they professed their love forever and ever .. and invited all those people. The clothes and the flowers alone cost a fortune. What about their fancy dinner out in last night's show? Could not figure out where that was. It looked familiar to me AND pricey. You can bet they didn't pay. I could get used to a life like that. This country is something else. Rewarding people for over- populating the planet like them and the Duggars and yet some people who do so much good are virtually ignored because how boring is philanthropy?

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

Did anyone else notice last night when they went out to that brunch
    that they parked their van in a handicap parking space?
    How wrong is that!

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I've noticed on other episodes when the family goes out to eat that many times they are the only ones in the restaurant. I think they might open early just to accommodate the family and film crew.

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

Jenni, you forgot Kate's tummy tuck.

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

I know there are other things. I just copied what I had read.
    And since that list there are many other things.
    The motorcycles, the playhouses, her recent vacation to NC.
    I guess the perks will stop now tho.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

I am really mad now. It seems they have been separated for two years according to papers filed today by Kate. So 10 months ago when people watched all enthralled as they pledged their love forever and ever in a ceremony in Hawaii, they were already apart?? This is the end of their show, I'll bet. It's a scripted sit com, not reality TV.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Someone will probably file a suit against TLC and Jon and Kate for committing fraud!

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

The divorce papers are sealed so how does anyone know what they say?

In PA there there needs to be a 2-year separation for a no-fault divorce and she probably did indicate that the separation had started - not that they have been separated two years already.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

Jenni, they probably have a handicapped placard. A couple of the little kids look like they have some disabilities.

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

None of the children have a disability. They have mentioned many times how fortunate they are that none of them have any problems at all.

• lilliepad
    14 years ago

"They brought this on themselves when they had 8 kids in a short amount of time,"
    They didn't plan on having 6 babies at one time.They planned on "one more",maybe twins again as Kate has said many times,but instead were blessed with 6.
    Play houses were donated as was her tummy tuck.As for all the other donated stuff,how many here (be honest now :) would complain if some business donated new furniture,
    vacations,groceries? The "donators" can use all that stuff
    as a tax write off and advertisement/publicity for their businesses!
    "It seems they have been separated for two years according to papers filed today by Kate." Where did you hear that?

• Lily316
    14 years ago

Earlier today I read it on MSNBC, but she may have said it as a technicality for the no fault divorce. I live in PA but know nothing about divorce law

• intherain
    14 years ago

"I am really mad now. It seems they have been separated for two years according to papers filed today by Kate. So 10 months ago when people watched all enthralled as they pledged their love forever and ever in a ceremony in Hawaii, they were already apart??"

Yep. It's called TV. It's called making money. That's why I keep saying these reality shows are NOT real.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

It seems to me that there is some disability on the part of the adults.

There may have been a hair transplant for one ...

... but I think that there's a need for a transplant of some more substance between the ears for both.

ole joyful

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

"Play houses were donated as was her tummy tuck.As for all the other donated stuff,how many here (be honest now :) would complain if some business donated new furniture, vacations,groceries? The "donators" can use all that stuff as a tax write off and advertisement/publicity for their businesses!"

I dunno...when I was a single mother after I separated from my ex-H, my DS and I were on W.I.C. because I made little money. After a while I got a better paying job but was not up for "review" at W.I.C. for another 6 months. I knew I made more than the cap but I didn't have to relinquish my assistance for another 6 months, but felt that I should because there were many more people who needed the public assistance more than I did. When I went to the W.I.C. offie and told the woman I didn't want the assistance any longer because my financial situation had gotten better, she said no one had ever done that before and thanked me for being so honest.

So my answer to your above question would be a resounding "no". It chaps my hide when folks, any folks, assume the position of entitlement, and it appears that is exactly what they are doing.

And when you take fertility drugs the chances of multiple births go up by a very high percentage. She's a nurse, for goodness sake, so it's not like she didn't know. Duh. They only wanted another 1 or 2? That's a very big chance to take when takine fertility drugs for the second time. Somehow I think ole' joyful is right about having something between their ears.

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

Tax-funded programs are not the same as corporate donations. It's a win-win situation for the companies and the Gosselins. The Gosselins get free stuff and the companies get publicity which in turns helps their businesses (and the employees who work for those companies - keeping those people off of unemployment, Medicaid, WIC, etc). Unfortunately they don't get the same benefits if they just give stuff away to any joe schmo. Most freebies go to those who can afford them - celebrities.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I agree with Lilliepad and Paula.

Seriously I doubt many people here at the KT would turn down a nice piece of new furniture or a trip to wherever. Hey, I'll take it if you don't want it. lol I'd be in line for the tooth whitening too. The companies are giving it away, it's not taking anything away from someone poorer or less fortunate.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

I see a spin off. the Greedy Gosselins show..Guess how much loot they got.

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

I don't want the cameras but I have to say if any companies wanted to donate to me I would take it LOL......actually i would love for some one needy to get all that stuff.......wouldn't it be great to see a struggling family or single mom or single dad to get stuff donated to them???? sTac

• majaco
    14 years ago

When they got the dogs,Kate wrote a check to pay for them.The guy she bought them from is a police officer and he said the money he received for all the puppies was going to a charity.I can't remember the one.

• jenni_ca
    14 years ago

I don't think it means much that it showed her writing a check for the dogs. She wrote a check they day they picked up the organic side of beef too and that was given to them.
    We have seen them pay for other things (beds etc) that we now know were given to them.
    It's all just about what TLC wanted the viewers to see.
    I just hope that something good can come out of all this. The new article in People magazine says when they told the kids Maddy came unglued and Cara just sobbed.
    It is all just so sad.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

I can't fault Kate or Jon for seizing an opportunity to make a better life for themselves and their children.

I can't believe they just "decided" to have 6 babies at one time, and become a Reality Show! That surely was not in their plans. So it happened. Good for them. Who prospered the most...the Gosselins, the companies who supplied the freebies, or TLC?

I've watched the show from the beginning. Reading all the comments in these threads about them and the show, I sometimes think we weren't all watching the same show! No doubt Kate was bossy, and Jon was very easy to boss. I think the children were extremely well behaved. Okay, Mady had her melt-downs. Didn't we all have a child, or maybe more than one, who had similar melt-downs from time to time?

I don't recall Kate screaming at them. Discipline calls for a strong firm voice. She is a planner, and planned a lot of activities for holidays, etc. Did she have help? No doubt. Who and where were all the nannies I've heard about? I remember one or two young girls helping out. When the babies were infants she mentioned how many loads of wash was done every day, and there was a friend who came and folded them. Would any of us refuse that?

Yes, their lives got out of hand. I fault Jon for choosing to find consolation elsewhere. I guess he had his midlife crisis 3 years too late. Kate allowed herself to be overcome with her own importance so far as "working."

I do wonder if they ever sat down with all the children and explained what was going on? If that happened, it hasn't been mentioned that I know of. So many people think the children will be scarred for life now. If we asked for a show of hands, I wonder how many right here at the KT have had similar backgrounds and have grown into fine, self respecting adults?

I thought the last episode was confusing, time-wise. So much about the Crooked Houses. Those houses were done before that. When the Bikers came, the houses were already there and finished.

So now the show is taking a break. So can we all.

I've just been thinking about some of these things, and how conclusions and opinions are jumped to without having all the truth to be known.

Sue

• susan_on
    14 years ago

Well said, Sue.

• Lily316
    14 years ago

Did you know the money grubbing Kate CHARGES for her autograph?..Like who would ever want one? Even movie stars don't charge. Even at her book signings , she charges and it's $25 on the street if the queen even looks your way. Jon signs for nothing an is pleasant to fans. I live near them and I know that Kate five years ago came on local TV whining about all they need. She is a money grubbing , star obsessed, bad hair train wreck and is getting what she deserved. Jon did a heck of a lot for their kids and the nannies and other help were off camera while Kate cranks out "born again" books and goes on book tours.

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

Lily if no one wanted to pay for Kate's autograph, who is she charging? Supply and demand. She wouldn't be charging if people weren't willing to pay. Many mid-level 'celebrities' charge for autographs.

Five years ago Kate and Jon did need financial help. That was before TLC came along. Have you seen them on your local TV lately begging for help? Would you sleep better at night if they were still struggling financially?

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Lily316 - are you Jon's girlfriend???

• Lily316
    14 years ago

The public is not responsible for bailing people out when they choose procedures that could result in multiple births. Why would Kate think otherwise?. It was okay for Giant to give them $5,000 and diaper companies helping out, but she was acting like she was entitled. Why do you think her whole family is estranged from her? I have only recently watched the show when all the controversy appeared. Apparently there was a SIL who helped a lot, Jody?, and TLC wanted to compensate her and Kate said she would be the only person getting money. And the rumors from the helpers were that she was so ungrateful to the many people who came at all hours and helped out. She'd leave post-its everywhere, and wouldn't even speak to the helpers No, I am not Jon's GF. I'm not that fond of him either, but I think he doesn't get enough credit for all that he did. I know my husband wouldn't have survived an hour with all those babies!