SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

What are you reading lately?

nodakgal
14 years ago

I am reading Sue Grafton's S is For Silence. I have T is for Trespass on the bedside stand. Going to be a long time til U is out! Did I hear December its due to be released?

Got to thank you KT readers, cause you all got me hooked on the Kinsey Millhone. I have them all from A-T. I love those books!

What have you been reading lately? I'm going to have to take notes again!

Comments (46)

• maryanntx
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our GRINS Book Club read The Widows of Wichita County by Jodi Thomas this month. We will discuss it next Monday at our meeting. I thought it was a good book that leaves you with questions at the end. We should have a good discussion about it.
    If you've read My Blog "There are no chance meetings in life", you will see it's about my meeting with an author. I am now reading her book, Tested Faith, The Power of Mind Over Cancer. The book is very inspirational and so are the comments she sends me on FaceBook.

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

I'm just finishing a Martha Grimes book, The Blue Last, and find it absorbing, of course.

• Related Discussions

books.. read anything new lately

Q

Comments (17)
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is probably one book that I read before seeing the movie - and I still enjoyed the movie!!! Unusual, and I have been to Savannah since, and was fascinated by the city!! I don't read nearly enough anymore - the upcoming hospital stay will change that. I love English mysteries - PD James, Deighton, Dick Francis - pure escapism. I am slogging my way through "And No Birds Sang", WWII, Farley Mowat - I love his writing, and it is the stories of the Allies landing in Sicily, and the battles up to Rome. My Dad was there, so I need to put it down often. If you are interested in the sea, Mowat's "Grey Seas Under" is a very moving biography of a tug boat. Yes, a tug boat, and you will come to care for that boat like a friend, or favoured pet!! Nancy. - oh yes, and I loved the mini-series a Year in Provence - how could you not love something with John Thaw in it!!!
    ...See More

Read any good books lately?

Q

Comments (28)
    I read "Botany of Desire" last summer and found some parts fascinating (apples), and others drawn out & a bit boring (hemp). I learned a lot from it, and though I wouldn't recommend it to a general reading audience, if you are interested in learning about food and like physical science it will probably appeal. I read "Shanghai Girls" this summer and I really enjoyed it. I knew little about Chinese history and culture in the timeframe featured in the book, 1937-'53ish. I learned a lot and found the characters' stories compelling. I began Julia Child's "My Life In France" right before I was hit with an avalanche of stayover guests. Still hoping to finish it before I see "Julie & Julia." The movie might leave the theatres before I do, as more folks are coming for Labor Day weekend. DH & I both read "The Tender Bar" in July, and we both loved it. That was one from last summer's list.. Despite all the rain we had, this didn't turn out to be much of a "reading summer" for us.
    ...See More

Reading - Recently Finished & Recommendations?

Q

Comments (15)
    Right now I'm "re-reading" an audiobook of High Five in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I'm also reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Last week I finished Thereby Hangs a Tale; A Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quin. Chet is a dog; Bernie is his detective human. The first book in the series was Dog On It Both books are great. http://www.amazon.com/Thereby-Hangs-Tail-Bernie-Mystery/dp/1416585850 I'm anxiously waiting for the new Stephanie Plum, Hamish Macbeth, Agatha Raisin, and Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood on HBO) books to come out. I'm reading all these series; I find each of them wonderful and entertaining in they're own ways. Hamish Macbeth books in order... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=hamish+macbeth+series+in+order&sprefix=Hamish+ Agatha Raisin series in order... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=agatha+raisin+series+in+order&sprefix=Agatha+Ra Sookie Stackhouse; Southern Vampire Mysteries series http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sookie+stackhouse&sprefix=Sookie
    ...See More

What are you reading lately?

Q

Comments (36)
    Lots of fluff, that's what I'm reading! Mostly chick books with happy endings. I look for colorful trendy book covers in the library. I just want something to drown out my workouts. I just read a book from the Shopaholic series that was cute enough. I read a weird one about a witch, Charmed and Dangerous that wasn't that bad when all was said and done. I put it down once but I finished it when I ran out of other things to read. Oh, I read About A Boy which was good too. I think I might pick up the movie sometime. I'm in the middle of something called Family Fortune right now.
    ...See More
  • Pieonear
    14 years ago

I'm in the middle of the best book I've read in a long time. It's called Olive Kitteridge by by Elizabeth Strout.

It is about Olive and her husband and the people who live in their town. Realllly good.

• Maura63
    14 years ago

Just started a book recommended here: After River.

Enjoying it so far!

• User
    14 years ago

I Just finished "After River", boy was that a good one! Gonna start Jodi Picoults "The Tenth Circle" This will be my first of hers.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

"Stone Cold" by David Baldacci.

Fantastic thriler, very complex..maybe his best book yet.

• williamsburgjane
    14 years ago

I am reading " A FRiend Like Henry" by Nuala Gardner. It about a little boy who is Austistic. The parents find out that their dog really helps the little boy to learn how to talk. Its a true story about a family living in the United Kingdom. Its really interesting and has taught me a lot about austistic children.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

carla neggers, cold pursuit...

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

Dangerous question for me anytime, I never have a short reply. But with school out, I've had more time to read... and boy have I been reading!

I have recently read:
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It was very strange, not light reading. The characters are all gods from human history and are fighting for survival in this technological, media controlled society. The plot is like something out of a very strange, very long, dream. Surreal.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl a narrative by Linda Brent. The account of her escape from slavery into a life with her children in the north. It was interesting, I enjoyed the story.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. The end of was great. Makes you question everything and rethink almost every word from the very beginnning.

Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji. A really sweet and tragic story. Light reading, goes quick but draws you into the characters and their lives. You could feel good about giving this love story to a teen, nothing inappropriate.

I've also read some things for kids that I'll share if you are looking for books for any young readers in your life.

The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley. This is a series, I read the first. Two young sisters are on their own after their parents disappear. The go to live with the grandmother they never knew and find out they are descendents of the Brothers Grimm and find themselves living in a community of all the fairy tale characters.. and the drama and mystery that goes with it. It's essentially a mystery, with all the fairy tale characters made into "real" people, with motivations and wants. It was very fun to read. I'd recommend it for 8-10 year olds. 3rd-4th grade range. It would also be great fun to read aloud together.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I've wanted to read this for a long time, it's also the first in a series/trilogy. It was made into a movie, but I haven't seen it. This is the book I'm currently reading, not quite finished. I LOVE this book! It's up there with Harry Potter in terms of characters you love and a well thought out plot. Not quite as creative in terms of adventure, but very creative in terms of the concept. I am really impressed with how well this book is written. This is good, smart children's literature. All the elements are done so well. I'd say a little older than the other book, 5th-6th grade, maybe a very strong 4th grade reader. (I have a 4th grader in gifted classes who reads like I do. ;o) And I think this would be a challenge for her to read alone. Not impossible, but challenging.) Brief summary: 12 y/o Meggie lives with her father and finds out he has the ability to read characters to life right out of books. But the consequences are very dangerous, so Meggie and her father are on the run from some very dangerous characters who want her father's power for evil. I love this concept, a power that sounds like fun at first, but the implications make you think twice!

Hm. Funny that I have more to say about the kids books than the adult books. I love good children's literature! It makes me happy that people who can write this well write for a young audience. It gives me hope. ;o)

• jackie_ok
    14 years ago

I bought Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich yesterday and I have just read the first chapter. It is going to be a good one I think.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

LOL Jackie. I was just going to post about that book. I love Janet Ivanovich and Finger Lickin Fifteen is one of the best! I read the whole thing yesterday. I laughed so much my sides were hurting. My grandparents live in the Burg she talks about so it's very cool to me when she talks about the neighborhoods. Chambersburg is not like that today, but it's fun to remember. Lula and Grandma Mazer... can't go wrong with those two.

Today I'm reading Sherryl Woods new Chesapeake Shores book called Harbor Lights. This is the 3rd one in this new series I believe. I'm about half way through and it's a good read.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

So glad to see so many reading. I love to read, have tons of books to read, but no time for now to read :( I am going back to bed now.

Sue

• rthummer
    14 years ago

South Carolina
    By: Yvonne Lehman
    This is the one I am currently on.
    It is a series of 4 Novellas and I am on the last story. I will be starting a series from the author below called the Southern Tides series. :) I am very excited about that. It is set in the civil war era.

I finished up just this past week a series by Gary E. Parker.
    #1 Highland Hopes
    #2 Highland Mercies
    #3 Highland Grace
    This is set in the hills of Tennessee. I love this series as it gave me a better understanding of how my fil's ways and people were brought up and how and why some of his folklore was passed down. Very interesting book. This is a Christian fiction series. As is most of what I read. I met a wonderful person on e-bay that I was buying from and now we swap back and forth and have become friends. You meet the nicest people where you least expect it.:)

• barbara3
    14 years ago

After all the serious books I have been reading for several book clubs, I am ready for something lighter. I just finished two Donna Andrews mysteries, Murder By Puffins and The Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos. They were good mysteries with a bit of humour. I have any number of books on my To-Be-Read shelf to choose from for my next book but I think I'm going to read the new Miss Julia book I have from the library.

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Just started reading John Sanford's new one, WICKED PREY. I had it reserved at the library ever since I had read it was due to be released. It starts out with a bang. Dottie

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I love books about famous people - my current one is:

Lincoln, The Unknown
    by Dale Carnegie

It's a wonderful recount of the REAL life of Abraham Lincoln - he was a miserable, deeply depressed man with very little going for him - just amazing information!

• margad
    14 years ago

Just finished The Last Mrs. Astor and am now reading Auditions.

• kframe19
    14 years ago

American and Japanese Carrier Tactics and Operations of World War II.

• marcy345
    14 years ago

I was reading Lee Childs new book when my brother came over and gave me "Boone's Lick" by Larry McMurtry wrote in 2000. I ended up laughing my way through it. What a good read. I'm going to look for it on tape so my DBF can hear the story while we're traveling. It's the story of a woman and her kids going to find her husband back in the 1800's. I hated for it to end.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

Well, I lead you all astray, earlier when I said I was going to start on The Southern Tides Series by Gary Parker, after I finished reading the book South Carolina. But, I picked up a series here in the computer room book case and started reading. It is the Fountain Creek Series by Tamara Alexander. I am reading Rekindled right now, then book #2 is Revealed, followed by #3 titled, Remembered. Then I will start the Southern Tide Series. (maybe(;-)
    I have so many books at bargain basement prices, plus book swapping, I wish I had a computer brain so I could read several at once. I think I have read on here that one Kter does exactly that, but I can't. LOL

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

IRS papers, tax papers and Edward Jones papers nothing as near as instersting as you all!!! And this is all over my head not like my murder stories.....:( Stacy

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

I have been checking out puppy training books from the library.

• litereader
    14 years ago

I just finished reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton -- excellent story. I'll be picking up Scarecrow by Michael Connelly later. I've read all his books and he ranks as one of my favorite authors.

If you like the Sue Grafton books, check out Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone series. Also a great series, with a nice long list of books.

If you haven't yet read The Edgar Sawtelle Story, don't miss it. It's one of the best books I've ever read and that's saying a lot.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

I just finished "The Help" (sorry I just gave it away and I don't know the author). It was such a great book. I didn't want it to end.

I started "The Scarecrow" by Michael Connelly. I have never read him before because I usually don't read mysteries. But I'm so glad I got this book. He has a way of making the characters so real, and I'm really liking the story!

Susan

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Did you get your pup yet? I can't remember when you said.

I just ordered One For The Money and whatever books 2 and 3 are by Janet Evanovich. I've seen her books mentioned so many times here I finally have to try them.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

The economy might keep you from taking a summer vacation, but if you can't stick your toes in the sand, stick your nose in a book.

**A quote from somewhere I read but my senior citizens brain cannot remember when or where.**

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I loved the book "The Help."
    I picked up Nevada Barr's newest book "Borderline" today at the library but haven't started it yet.
    I just finished reading "Luna'a California Poppies" by Alma Luz Villanuevo. Different from anything I have ever read but loved it. I bought it for a nickel at our local library.

• coral_ok
    14 years ago

I read an average of 5 books per week and always have. I can't imagine life without reading! Right now, I'm reading "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb. Thanks for all the recommendations; I'll add them to my list when I go to the library.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Stephanie, a friend of mine (the kids old babysitter) suggested Alex read "Inkheart" about a month ago. He told me he liked it, at least what he had read of it...not sure if he has finished.

Just finished reading "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It was short but good.

Have started and not been able to finish: "Thou Shall Prosper" by Rabbi Daniel Lapin, "Trace" by Patricia Cornwell and "Girls Like Us" by Sheila Weller. None of them seem to hold my attention. "Girls Like Us" is a biography of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon which is mostly boring music history.

I will probably eventually finish reading them. I will take "Trace" with me to read in the airports and on the plane rides, but first I'm starting a new book I picked up yesterday, "The Loch" by Steve Alten, it looks good and is about the Loch Ness monster. Too bad I'm not going to Scotland. LOL! I also have "The Body Farm" to read but will read it sometime later...I read it years ago, and guess I forgot and bought it again.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Another Sanford and Connelley fan here! Read "Wicked Prey" and am on wait list at the library for Connelley's newest.

Just read "The Devil's Footprints" by John Burnside. Found it a little 'deep', but an interesting character study. Have started "Figures in Silk" by Vanora Bennett (author of "Portrait of An Unknown Woman"). I'm enjoying it. Next up is "Infinity in the Palm of Her Hand" by Giaconda Belli -- subtitled "A novel of Adam and Eve".

DH is into Rick Atkinson's second volume of his Liberation trilogy: "The Day of Battle -- The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944". That's too heavy for me -- to lift! It's almost 800 pages of small type; lots of notes.

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

The Life of Pi. It was recommended by a coworker, but I must say, I am about a third of the way through and it is very dry. I hope you're right, Stephanie, and it redeems itself. I hate not to finish a book, but this one is tempting me to return it to the library.

• LorifromUtah
    14 years ago

I am reading Demons and Angels by Dan Brown.
    Then I'll read the Davinci Code...then go see the new movie.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
    I will be making a library order this monday and I will pay close attention to your recommendations.

Lori

• danihoney
    14 years ago

I have a stack of books waiting for me. I usually have about three going at one time, but I am in a play in town and had to put them down for a while. Only two more shows and I'm done.

I started "Reservation Road", but I don't really think I'm in the mood for it, I think I'll push it aside for a while. I am one book behind in the Stephanie Plum series so I have number 14 waiting and it's really calling to me. Nodakgal you'll LOVE them and have to come back to answer... Ranger or Morelli? You'll understand that later. So far I think number 10 was the funniest, when you first meet Sally Sweet.
    I also just picked up "Wicked", that looks really good. It was turned into the hit Broadway musical. It's the story of the Wicked Witch of the West.

I love children's literature also. I have been reading the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. My boys have read four out of the five in the series and I have only read the first two. They are nagging me to get going on the series so they can talk to me about them, so I will have to squeeze them in also. They're lots of fun. My youngest is reading the "Peter and the Starcatchers" series. I have only read the first one of those, so I will probably read the next two.

We are planning on spending a couple weeks driving and camping next month, so I'll have lots of reading time!

• litereader
    14 years ago

I don't usually read Kids' books or fantasy books, but the Harry Potter series ranks as some of the top books for me. They are so immaginative and well written, and have such excellent character development, that I bought the hard-cover editions -- which is a HUGE committment for me! I have limited space and I don't spend space (or money) lightly.

Most books/authors rate borrowing from the local library, but some are books that I just have to own. It's kind of my measure of what is a really good book.

• vannie
    14 years ago

I am reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" recommended by Maryann Tx and I'm really enjoying it. My daughter gave me the new Janet Evanovich for my birthday and I'll start it next. I have read, in the last few weeks,"Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon, "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Andrew McCall Smith, "Through Blue Spruce", Joseph Boyden, "Cold Service" and "Death in Paradise" both by Robt. B. Parker (I love him) and "Talk Before Sleep" by Eliz. Berg. I recommend all these books except "Talk Before Sleep". I wanted to slap most of the characters in that! LOL

• danihoney
    14 years ago

Funny story about Harry Potter (well to me anyway). The series had been out for a year or so when I finally gave in to the "hoopla" and bought the first book. I think book one and two were released and book three was due.

My family and I went on a camping trip with a couple other families that summer and book one was the designated read. I got so into this book that I stopped socializing. Finally DH said "Hey put the book down we're taking the boat out." I laughed (and pouted) and drove down to the launch. On our way out we passed another campsite and there sitting on a picnic table was a young boy, maybe 10 years old, with his nose buried in the same book. I laughed and said "see, I told you it was good!"
    I thought it was so funny that a grown woman and a kid were both sucked into that story.

We've all read the entire series, my 14 year old has read them twice and my 12 year old just finished book 7 earlier this year. Quiet an accomplishment for him. He has since become a pretty avid reader and I give J.K. Rowling all the credit.

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

I just started reading a book that my BIL sent me, Land of Burning Heat by Judith Van Gieson. It's a modern day mystery that has to do with the Mexican Inquisition. It's interesting because it contains some history that I've heard from Jammer's family about when they came over from Spain.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

working my way through the Phillipa Gregory paperback books of Henry VIIIs wives. Read The Other Boleyn and The Boleyn Inheritance so far.

• mylab123
    14 years ago

I'm in the middle of Edgar Sawtelle and am loving it.

I love everything written by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Childs.

I am reading some Amy Tan also, very nice - and Caroline See's books - not quite as good but still, very nice.

I think the person who is reading Memoirs of a Geisha will love it, that one is a "re-read" for me. Just loved it.

I read "authors" - if I find one book I love by an author, then I have to get to Barnes and Noble and read everything written by the author *LOL*

• littlebit_gw
    14 years ago

I just finished While My Sister sleeps by Barbara Delinsky. I see alot of new authors that I will have to check out.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now I am reading Fire and Ice by Julie Garwood. Very good!

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I recently finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" but wasn't crazy about it. Currently I am loving "A Thousand Splendid Suns."

• momcat2000
    14 years ago

Bad Girls of the Bible

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I think it is so interesting to hear the widely varied choices we select for our reading. Isn't it great that everyone doesn't just like all the same things? I can't imagine myself reading some of the books mentioned and others sound inviting. Vive la difference!

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I'm reading Judi Picoults."keeping faith".Very good so far.
    Kathi

• kgal_2008
    14 years ago

I'm busy baking a gigantic batch of goodies to thank all for the wonderful welcome to the KT today . I love to read and my most favorite book recently is Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. It's on the bestseller list so I had to wait several weeks for it at our Library. It was the best of the series that she has written IMOP. I sat up almost all night to finish it. I do that quite often when I get started on a book I really like. Well back to baking. I will be serving soon!
    Gale