SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

My trip to the Midwest and Kentucky

sjerin
11 years ago

I braved airplanes to attend our nephew's wedding in Louisville, KY, then drove up to Iowa City to visit my dh's brother and his wife before they move out of state. We were so lucky with the weather; Louisville had a high of about 78 the day we landed and only warmed up just before we left. Iowa was quite warm and humid the first two days, but cooled down to 75 for the last couple--what luck! I've only been to Memphis in the South before, 23 years ago and feel that what they say about Southern hospitality and nice manners is absolutely true. A man on the sidewalk who had to squeeze by me turned around, looked me in the eye and said "Excuse me." Such a surprise! Our nephews (brothers,) went out of their way to drive all the family to where we needed to be, put up some at their house and were never, never cranky about all the responsibility put on them. On the contrary, both were a delight the whole time. I crossed the bridge into Indiana on foot with another nephew and his wife, just to say I'd been in Indiana, forgetting that we'd be driving that way after a few days. There was the biggest barge I'd ever seen--4-5 football fields long?--passing under the bridge carrying coal, I think. It seemed like it was navigating shallow waters closer to the side of the river, but what do I know. The food took some getting used to for us, but perhaps it was richer and creamier than we eat because it was wedding food; salad was the only "vegetable" served.

After the wedding we drove through Indiana with a stop at Shapiro's deli for a huge corned beef sandwich--yum! and then on through Indiana. Marilyn Sue, I was thinking of you as we drove and wondering in which direction you live. I was surprised at all the trees since I expected mostly corn fields--very pretty. Illinois was more of the same but the trees became more sparse as we neared Iowa. Corn and soy crops as far as the eye could see, right up to the road! But still, the area was nice and green, unlike California in the summer.

I didn't get much a chance to interact with Iowa Citians as we spent much of our time helping b & s-i-l pack up their house and make runs to Goodwill, with dinners out. What a pretty city I.C. is! The university seems to take up much of the city but it's quite lovely--we toured a small part of the hospital area where my b-i-l worked. I saw fireflies in the evening, which is a thrill for me! We drove to the Des Moines airport from there for our flight home and I found the neat farms and rolling "hills" delightful. Taking a small airplane from Iowa to Denver was most decidedly not. The Denver area was hot and windy that day and I was white-knuckled all the way down. Poor dh had to hold my hand that probably did some damage to his. The plane from Denver to SJ was large and handled the turbulence so much better.

I'm happy to tell myself that I've now visited or gone through Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Iowa! Thanks for indulging me my little...

Comments (10)