SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandysays_gw

Obviously incorrect mispronunciations

sandysays
13 years ago

I just read the post about regional differences in the way words are pronounced. I can accept that people often say things differently in many regions of our country. My problem is with people that should know better and are just plain stupid or just don't care. I'm talking about people that are paid to "speak" for a living.

I believe that TV show hosts and news "personalities" ("talking heads") increase the spread of these mispronunciations. The young ones are the worst. However, in recent years, I've seen an increase in mispronunications among the older "talking heads"... those who should know better. As young viewers hear these mispronounced words more frequently, they assume that the "talking heads" must have it right.

Do any of these people have a dictionary? Do they even care how ignorant they sound? I cringe every time I hear that horrid pree-sentation. I can't watch shows like House Hunters. Why oh why do they insist on placing that "uh" in the middle of realtor and realty!

I can tune out people in my every day life that continue to say Warshington but you'd think they could figure out how to say it correctly on the evening news. I was born in prime time "Warshington country". I am 63 years old and corrected my pronunciation many years ago. I say Washington because that is how it should be said. Only children should be excused for not knowing any better. If my name were Washington, you'd better believe I'd tell people how it should be pronounced!

Not only do the "talking heads" mispronounce words, they change the accent so that words that should not have an emphasis on either syllable suddenly sound like the football cheer of "DEE-fence". Hotel becomes HO-tel. Police becomes PO-lice. It's frustrating that many people say "So what" to this. It is very indicative of the rather lazy and entitled generations we have spawned over the last 20-30 years. Anything goes.

Guess what. How one speaks does make a difference to those people that do the hiring. If nothing else, people that are too lazy or indifferent to care, should think of the ramifications that their poor grammar and glaring mispronunciations have when it's time for a promotion or even in getting hired in the first place.

Comments (26)