SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Staples-soon to be an antique

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

I just added staples to my stapler, from the same box I had bequeathed to me from the last assistant, over ten years ago! I hate how the top sags, but I only see it like, maybe, once a year. Not worth fixing.

I remembered hearing back in the 80s that the world was going paperless and how incredulous a thought that was. I just scoffed when I heard that! I was working at an insurance carrier and we literally moved paper all day long. We had boxes of files filled with paper. The mail would come in and be opened, stamped and then given a claim number by clerks. Then, they'd be matched to a policy holder's physical file. Lord help you if you couldn't find the file (someone put it back wrong or took it without leaving a pulled file sheet. Or... the file would be filed in a place when transposing numbers, filed backwards (the tab inside the cabinet)... I can tell you all the mistakes made in filing, it was my specialty to find all the missing files in my later years there).

All day long adjusters would put the finished files back onto the shelves, and in the morning the first thing the clerks would do before opening, stamping, and adding claims numbers would be to file them back. UGH! How we hated doing that! You'd get torn clothes, ripped up hands, all the papercuts, and worse, staples would hurt you. I'd go home every Friday night and sleep in cotton gloves with my hands slathered in vaseline just to get "normal" cuticles and heal all those cuts.

And now, I never print a letter, only add the letter body to an electronic letterhead, add an electronic signature and email it off. Such a short time to make staples obsolete. Almost.

Comments (13)