SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

what can you tell me about tents?

10 years ago

I may be going camping for one night. I was going to rent a tent but I see I can buy a small one inexpensively on Amazon. I just need a simple two person tent. All I want is one that is very easy to set up and take down. What tips can you give me?

Here's the one I am looking at on Amazon. What do you think of it? It gets good reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: coleman tent

Comments (36)

• 10 years ago

I'm a long time tent camper and Coleman makes really nice tents. The one you are considering should work out perfectly. It has a very easy set up also. I can't believe the great price! Hope you have a fun time! Nothing better than sleeping under the stars.

• 10 years ago

I don't see anything that looks horribly wrong with it. It's waterproof and a nice price for someone who isn't a serious camper. My only caution would be the point at the front that will poke you in the eye when you bend down. Not sure where you are camping, if you don't have to worry about getting cold at night, it looks good to me.

• Related Discussions

When is this from and anything else you can tell me about it

Q

Comments (13)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/majakdragon/cninacabinetfull.jpg This picture shows that the legs are connected to the top part of the cabinet. Value is nice to know for some but not important to me. What I am looking for is the name of the style. From when this style is from. This piece will not be sold because I like it for my own personal use. I think that if I found out that it was valuable I would be afraid to use it for fear of damage. When I get the table refinished and put back together I will post a picture so you can see it in all its glory. You will even be able to see the legs as they are supposed to be...right side up LOL.
    ...See More

Can you please tell me what you know about this lamp? Thank you!

Q

Comments (2)
    This lamp is most likely one of the many versions of the popular Danish Modern/Mid Century Modern Tulip lamps. If you can find any identifying marks that allow you to link it to a specific designer then its value is generally much more than lamps without manufacturers mark. This version is not as ornate as many versions I have seen. Tulip lamp designs range from very simple to those featuring gracefully carved wood bases and ornate tulip shape glass globes. With proper research you may be able to identify the designer. Good luck in your search.
    ...See More

Has anyone grown Vanessa Bell and what can you tell me about it.

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Sue, I’ve only had mine for a year. It was a own root gallon size plant. There is a long growing season here in Georgia so roses put up really nice growth. She has stayed compact but she is still a baby. She has a pleasant round form. Relatively healthy. The blooms are a very pale yellow that do fade to white so if you want a more pure yellow I would look at the Poet’s Wife. Didn’t really detect much fragrance but again, a baby plant. First two pictures are the Poet’s Wife and third is Vanessa.
    ...See More

What can you tell me about hepatica?

Q

Comments (6)
    They also love organic matter and have no problem poking through the leaves in spring. Mulching with well rotted leaves would be beneficial. They ususally are growing alongside Cut-leaf Toothwort, Cardamine concattenata,Woodland Phlox, Phlox divaricata, Rue Anemone, Thalictrum thalictroides, Short's Aster, Symphyotrichum shortii, Spring Beauty, Claytonii virginica, and Virginia Waterleaf, Hydrophyllum virginicum, Twinleaf, Jeffersonia diphylla, and Trillium, T. sessile, T. recurvatum. Spring Beauty, Claytonii virginica Sometimes the flowers can be dark purple/pink. There are 2 rare varieties with yellow flowers. Cut-leaved Toothwort, Cardamine concattenata. pink and white flowered forms. Virginia Bluebell, Mertensia virginica. They frequently have white flowered plants. Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis Hepatica acutiloba, Sharp Lobed Liver-leaf. evergreen/red foliage Wild Geranium, Geranium maculatum. White Trout Lily, White Dog Tooth Violet, Erythronium albidum. Young plants will produce only 1 leaf for years before making 2 leaves and blooming. These leaves are as pretty as the flowers. Rue anemone, Thalictrum thalictroides. There are deeper colored and double flowered cultivars. Wild Phlox, Phlox divaricata Wild Hyacinth, Camassia scilloides. Excellect camouflage on the Galium, but I spotted it. Jacob's Ladder, Pollemonium retans, Woodland Phlox, Phlox divaricata, Pink Turtlehead, Chelone obliqua, Great White Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum, Fire Pink, Silene virginicum. Blue Eyed Mary, Collinsia verna.
    ...See More
  • 10 years ago

We may be going to Cherry Springs State Park here in PA, one of the greatest places to see the stars at night. It has been years since I have seen the night sky full of stars.

Thank you for your response. I think that price is very reasonable and I get free shipping with Amazon Prime. It may never get used again but if I need it, it is there!

• 10 years ago

Thank you both. I am a very unserious camper. I even plan on bringing my inflatable mattress, if I can figure out how to get power to inflate it. It has its own pump.

• 10 years ago

Most tents anymore are very easy to set up. They have collapsible hollow poles that are strung together with an elastic cord.
    You just feed the poles through the tent loops and hook into the "floor" loop. Then stand it up! The poles flex.
    Should not take more than 10 or 15 minutes even the very first time you use first try it. ( and I do recommend you set up at home once to make sure nothing is missing)
    And that is a great price!
    Have fun.
    One of my most memorable camping trips we found wild raspberries out hiking. We picked a bunch and had them in our pancakes the next morning!

• 10 years ago

Maybe your mattress pump will work off your car's cigarette lighter with an adapter.

When our kids were little we drove across Canada in a station wagon and we had a small TV that sat on the console between the front seats. We bought an adapter that powered the TV (and VCP) and it plugged into the car's lighter.

• 10 years ago

Our hunting camp is very near Cherry Springs. I have been there several times.
    Have fun!

• 10 years ago

I hope the trip works out. It kind of depends on a couple people's schedules. Not mine. I am almost always available and up for a trip.

Salgal, we plan to get there early to get a camping spot. What is there to do around there to kill a few hours once we have our spot?

What's the adapter called? A car lighter adapter?

• 10 years ago

You said you needed a two person tent but I am wondering if there will be room for two with an inflatable mattress. If the mattress is say six to 8 inches high you have to deduct that from the height which is only 48 inches. No standing entry and exit will be on your knees. A regular twin size mattress is 39 x 75 in. The tent specs state 7ft x 5 ft floor area and slope up. I am not trying to burst any bubbles but depending on your age and agility I would maybe go for at least something you could stand in or almost anyway. You may just like it and want to go more. Don't forget a couple of tarps, one for under the tent and one for a million other uses!!! Have fun that is the main thing. Ask any automotive store for a small inverter that you can use for your mattress, they have really come down in price and amazon has them also. Great to keep handy even at home in case of hydro outages as you can just plug in your phone or any electronics to recharge them in your vehicle.

• 10 years ago

This is also a coleman but it is one of the instant tents they are truly amazing you literally toss them in the air and poof they open up and you just put the stakes in to hold it down. You can not get an easier tent and it is about the same price.
    Coleman 2p Instant Pop Up Dome Tent

We had the kind with the poles like that one you posted but I swear to you this new instant tent type is amazing.

• 10 years ago

Well, there's really not much depending what time you get there.
    South on 44 not really anything.
    North on 44 till you get to Rt 6 and there is a restaurant/bar...Sweden Valley Inn. Okay food. We eat there quite a bit.
    If you go east on 6 - maybe 10 miles to another place called Pine Creek Lodge. I really like their food.
    There is the newly re-opened Ice Mine,( a phenomenon of nature) not far from Cherry Springs. I haven't been there yet, but really want to our next trip up.
    If you head into Coudersport there is an antique shop on left (not far past hospital). A lovely little restaurant at the light on left in town. called Olgas (I think) lots of beautiful restored woodwork.
    There is a theatre in town but I've never been there.
    Another interesting place is the Austin Dam. It is a little known place on 872 south (left off of 6 before Coudersport) It was a dam that broke in the early 1900's that released 400 million of gallons of water, destroyed an 8 mile path...a killed quite a number of people. I find that kind of history fascinating.
    Lyman Run state park is a nice park to walk and has a kinda big lake.
    The PA lumber museum is pretty close too.
    There are certainly lots and lots of trails if you like to hike!
    Oh a few miles north of Cherry Springs is a little "camp" store ( they also have $$$ gas) But take only cash! They have all the things you might forget to take camping, plus souvenir t-shirts and sweatshirts.
    There is a Dollar store, drug store and small grocery store in Coudersport if you need anything. (and McDonalds and Sheetz)

Here is a link that might be useful: ice mine

• 10 years ago

this is a youtube on how easy it is to set up and pack up. As I said you take it out of the carry bag and toss it in the air.
    Broadstone Pop-up Tent From Canadian Tire
    This is a different brand but made the same way as the coleman.

• 10 years ago

I know some people that have this tent. I think it is plenty big enough. Could I make a suggestion?
    Set the tent up in the back yard a couple of nights before so you are familiar with the how to.

About your mattress, take an extension cord along, most sites have electric, and that way you can blow it up while it is in the tent. Or, go to the restroom/shower building, and there hopefully is an outlet.

Above all have FUN!

• 10 years ago

The mini-tent selection should be fine. It's a place to sleep, not party. Will there be sleeping bag(s) on top of that mattress? Camping also requires eating........coolers, food, stove(?), pots, pans, dishes, condiments. It's also time to enjoy the outdoors, not riding around looking for restaurants and shops. Crack open the box of beer, scour the grounds, hit the pool, maybe a lake, start the campfire. SMORES?? Enjoy the stars.

• 10 years ago

I tent camp. It looks pretty good to me also. (We have a 3 person tent we can stand up in. Paid $50 @ Big 5 Sporting Goods)

I myself don't like air mattresses. They deflate about midnight. :0) Also very cold. I use upholstery foam, Since your not backpacking, it's easy to roll up and carry in a car.

If you haven't purchased the air mattress?.....consider foam.

• 10 years ago

Salgal, thank you for that wonderful list of things to do. You have saved me hours of research. The Ice Mine and Austin Dam sound especially interesting. Not sure I could talk my son into antiquing.

That pop-up tent is a riot! What a convenience. I can just see me wrestling it back down again. I never can get the hang of things like that.

My air mattress is pretty high, so I will be sleeping with my nose just a foot from the top of the tent. I need it though because I am old and creaky and sleeping on the floor of the tent would cripple me. LOL. Just compared the measurements of the inflated mattress to the tent and they are exactly the same length. The mattress is a twin. Tight squeeze, but I am not buying a new one.

I will be the only one in the tent, so I can sleep in the middle. I need room for two because I like to spread out. I'm going with my son and his friend and they have all the camping equipment. We'll only be there one night, so I presume we won't need much. They do want to cook over a fire or camp stove, so heaven knows what we will be eating. As long as there is coffee in the morning, I am happy.

I have a big tarp in the garage so I will bring that, too. This is a lot of stuff for one night.

I hope this trip works out. It is still up in the air. You all have been very helpful.

• 10 years ago

This is one example that came up when I goggled adapter. You could call your local Pep Boys or Auto Parts store, tell them what you want to do and ask them what they have in stock.

My kids were over this weekend for a family get together and one of them brought up that trip. Our adapter had two cords so that we could power the TV and a video casette player. There really isn't much TV reception in a car in the middle of Canada. They laughed about the little 5" TV that was plugged into the cigarette lighter. I think they watched The Goonies and Monty Python and the Holy Grail over and over - oh and we had a 6 tape collection of Rocky and Bullwinkle too.

It really came in handy to keep the 3 of them happy. Now they'd all have their own iPads and Kindles.

Here is a link that might be useful: adapter

• 10 years ago

If you haven't already ordered check the tents and the specs from Walmart. They are comparable in price and some larger tents are even less. I just put a link to one but there are many more as you scroll around the pages. My only concern is you will not like the closeness to the roof and become claustrophobic and not enjoy your trip.
    I just bought one of the larger ones that is slated to be an instant set up. Says you can set it up in one minute. We put it up in five the first time as we were reading as we went along. I am sure the next time will be well under that. I slept outside with the kids on the weekend. I poured for about an hour but nothing leaked. We were on a tarp, and I had a double layer of those square fit together foam mats on the floor. No mattress and surprisingly comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: tents from walmart

• 10 years ago

Make sure you research cherry springs rules. Although I have never stayed there I do believe they have policies about lights- including campfires if you are camping on the astronomy field. (There is another camping lot across the road with fewer restrictions)
    The idea is to have absolute darkness so everyone can see the sky as best you can. That's one of the reasons this place is optimal for star gazing. There is no visible artificial light. They do have park rangers...
    I also think there is a curfew for driving in and out....no headlights.
    Oh, take plenty of clothes. It will be colder than you think it will be.

• 10 years ago

If it's hot I would bug something larger than a 2 or 3 man tent. I made that mistake on a long summer trip out West one year when the kids were younger. We boiled one night in a little 3 man tent. Next day I stopped at a Wal-mart and bought a big tent for air flow. I gave the small tent to a friend when we finally made it to NV to open up some trunk space.

Last tent I bought was wonderful...up in minutes, down in minutes. Gave it to Alex.

• 10 years ago

Oh, I forgot, hurry go to walmart, or Home Depot and buy yourself an "o so cool" battery operated fan, and two d-cell batteries! I would not be able to camp without one. Too hot at night.

Moni

• 10 years ago

I personally detest the air mattresses. I find them uncomfortable and extra cold on a cold night. I'm getting more spoiled as I get older. The last few times I've camped, I've brought along an old feather bed. It's soft and keeps me warm. Not as soft as a bed at home, but pretty darn comfortable for roughing it.

• 10 years ago

Adella check out "big agnes insulated air sleeping pad" they are GREAT!

• 10 years ago

I do think staying warm will be more of an issue than cooling oof at Cherry Springs. The low at night will be 52! Brrr. I will bring warm clothes and a down quilt and a blanket. I don't own a sleeping bag. Maybe I would be better off piling a bunch of blankets on the ground rather than toting the air mattress.

Thanks for the reminder about lights at CS. I remember reading that you must put red cellophane over your flashlight. I better buy that and some batteries.

I wonder if this trip will happen. We'll see. At least I will be prepared.

• 10 years ago

If it is going to get cold pick up a couple of the cheap emergency foil blankets...tiny enough to fit a couple in your pocket (until you open them) and you can use it to reflect your body heat as you sit out under the stars. The other under your blankets and ready for you when you get in. The dollar stores sell these and there are the ones that go on windshields to keep the heat out of your car. Great size for under you in the tent when sleeping without a mattress.

• 10 years ago

My tent arrived but I have not opened the box. Maybe I'll practice putting it up in the living room.

Foil blankets. Check.

• 10 years ago

oh, not to scare you. I'm serious.

Keep all your food in the car overnight. Make sure the boys don't sneak food in their tents.

There really are bears up there.

• 10 years ago

Wow. Okay, I will. Ha ha, my "boy" is 42 and his friend is a woman the same age. Not that I would put it past them (or me) to sneak food at night.

After seeing Alisande's picture of her visitor -- PA, no less -- I am taking bears very seriously.

• 10 years ago

I am sure you have heard this oldie

Many people carry little bells and pepper spray to deter bears. You can tell the difference between a grizzly and a black bear by the droppings.

Black bear poop is full of leaves and berries.
    Grizzly bear poop is full of little bells and smells like pepper spray. :-)

• 10 years ago

Do I note a slight odour ...

... of a bit of grizzly humour, around this neighbourhood at present?

o j

• 10 years ago

Ha ha ! I think your son can fend for himself!

• 10 years ago

It should be ok for temperatures no lower than 40 F. It may be rated for 2 people, but will be tight when personal gear is added. I did not see the size; My take is that its a comfy one person tent and tight for 2. It does have a rain fly that extends over the doorway - thats a plus.

Someone above mentioned tarps - yes indeedy. A water proof ground cover is a must. The ground cover under the tent should not extend beyond the tent floor. The tent floor should extend a bit beyond the ground cover. The reason is rain. If the ground cover extends beyond the tent, rain rolling down the tent side will be on top of the cover and run right under the tent resulting in water between the tent floor and the ground cover.

Another feature to keep the tent floor dry is site preparation before the cover is laid. If you can manage to make the center part of the cover a bit higher than its eges, then it will tend to shed water toward the perimeter.

If there is no rain in sight during your stay, the edge detail is not critical.

A tip: We take along an old throw rug; a bathroom rug works fine. This rug is placed at the doorway INSIDE the tent to catch mud and dirt as one enters the tent and protects the floor.. Each morning, fold over or roll up the rug to capture the dirt load and take outside the tent to shake. When you are ready to leave and strike the tent, before taking the tent down, remove the contents, fold the rug to a convenient shape (a rectangle will do) to use it as a broom to sweep the dirt out of the tent. Hold down the center of the front lip of the tent floor and the rug-broom can handily sweep the dirt right out the door.

The secret to any good tenting experience is to stay dry and warm.

Wishing you a great stay.

• 10 years ago

Thank you, Jemdandy. The only tarp I own is enormous and I would have spread it out. I will fold it up so it does not protrude further than the tent. So many helpful tips!

• 10 years ago

Yay! We are going! I will report back when I return. Again, thanks for your help.

Sal, I am printing out you list of "things to do" now. I also found an old shower curtain to use as a tarp.

So looking forward to seeing the night sky again. It's been on my bucket list.

• 10 years ago

Home from camping and I have a couple bug bites to prove it. We had a great time and saw lots of stars and also lots of very serious astronomers. My little tent was comfy and dry. I didn't bring the air mattress, which would only have been a pain in the neck. Next time I camp, I will invest in a good thick foam mattress. I slept (or should I say didn't sleep) on top of a sleeping bag and folded thick poly-filled comforter. My hips were killing me. I ended up with my pillow under my hips and a blanket bunched up for a pillow.

Sal, we never got to see much else. We did stop at Lyman Run State Park and the Grand Canyon of PA, which looks like the tiny newborn brother of the great-granddaddy one in AZ. Pennsylvania sure has a lot of trees and forests. I now understand how someone could easily get lost in the woods. Actually, I did get lost in the Adirondacks once, but we finally found the trail after hours of searching.

Here's me with the tent that you helped me choose.

• 10 years ago

All is well. Do it again.