SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meangoose_gw

Please help me plan a budget update

meangoose
14 years ago

I've been a (mostly) lurker here for a while, but now I'm coming out of hiding because I'd like your help.

My home was built in 1993, and for the most part, I think I have the original kitchen (with the exception of the appliances). My cabinetry is oak and my countertops are kind of a grey/rust/taupe laminate with an oak beveled edge (which I hate).) The flooring is tile, which I think looks nice but is cold during our MN winters, and is very hard to keep clean.

I don't have funds for a full remodel right now, so I'm looking for some relatively inexpensive things I can do to increase my contentment with my kitchen for at least the next 5-6 years or so, and possibly more.

I would love an undermounted sink, which likely means some sort of non-laminate counter. I do not want tile counters (no more grout in my kitchen!) The trim in my home is all stained oak, and the chances I will get dh to agree to let me paint it is.....nil. The layout is reasonably functional for me. The only thing that drives me batty is having only the one sink...however, I doubt I will be remedying that at this time.

With that said, what would you do to update this kitchen on the cheap? Paint/gel stain the cabinets? New counters?

Here are a few pics. Please forgive the clutter - I'm a clutter-y person and that probably is never going to change.

PS - yes, the pulls/handles are ORB and the hinges are brass. I've ORB-painted one door's hinge's and am giving it a month or so of wear-and-tear to see how the paint holds up before I decide to paint the rest or get new ones.

Comments (14)