SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
painterly_gw

Granite contractor issue

painterly
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am at my wit's end here, and I hope you can help me. I have been looking for a reputable and reasonably priced granite place for a while now, and I finally found one that has an A- rating on the BBB, 22 years in business, and great reviews on multiple forums/sites. They also have very reasonable prices and a HUGE selection of granite.

One problem- They estimator who came out today to measure told me that I would have a 1/2" gap where the granite meets the back wall, and also about a 1/4" gap where the granite will meet a floor to ceiling 24" deep cabinet due to my walls not being true. I said, "Yes, but isn't that what templating is for? To make sure you are accounting for the slightly imperfect angle?" He said "We don't need to do a template because the shape is so basic, and the saw only cuts straight." My walls are not bowed- they are perfectly straight, just not at an exact 90 degree angle.

So of course I googled, and almost every site (and a few videos) that I found show that this is EXACTLY what templating is for. I saw the fabricator use luan, scribe and then trim down so that the template was a nice tight fit even though the walls were not perfect.

I called a number of other granite places here, and ALL of them claim that if the walls are not exactly true, there WILL be gaps- not only that, but they have written in their contracts that they are not responsible for those gaps!

I consider myself to be a reasonable person, and I find this ridiculous. What are my options here? Should I insist on an EXACT template being made? Should I show this guy the video of another fabricator scribing the luan panels and ask that he do the same? Should I make the darn template myself??

Thanks for reading this long-winded post, but I need advice!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH