SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_cary_gw

Delta faucet/granite issue (also Lowes issue)

16 years ago

So I am in Lowes and my DW convinces me to go ahead and buy some Delta faucets since the price was pretty good and the style was right. Normally I do these things on line but they seemed fine and the price was good. They were model 35955 - a wide handle victorian style bath faucet.

Fast forward to granite templating. The person at the store thinks that maybe this model will have a problem mounting on 3cm granite. It is nearly impossible to get the specs online (actually it was impossible). So I call Delta - they say it is 1 1/8 inch (max deck thickness). Without doing the math - it looks really close - but the granite salesperson had said to go for a minimum of 1 1/4 inch.

So - I order the same style online - but it is model 3555. Looks exactly the same. The front of the box is exact (except for the model #). The back is the same except for a note on the the 3555 saying that it uses all brass construction. (FWIW - the Lowes model was about $144 with tax and 10% coupon and the online model was $162 total). And of course - the deck width specs are different.

So - lesson learned. Same price model except for the 10% discount at Lowes vs online. Online is able to mount to granite and is full brass construction. I never opened the Lowes model to find out the true differences though it is tempting.

Never heard about the granite issue before but I had heard that Lowes/HD often sell cheaper versions of similar models. FYI - model 35955 is not available at the online retailer - despite their incredible selection.

Comment (1)