SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zivman

Granite install issues. How should expect to resolve?

Zivman
10 years ago

If there was one thing I was confident in, it was my granite choice and install. after selecting the fabricator, the lady I worked with selecting the stone said I made the right choice. it was the company they used for their showroom. She said " there are installers and then there are craftsmen... they are in the craftsman category"

fast forward to install day -> this past weds (3/5). I'll try to keep this short so hang with me. They install and had to do some grinding to the piece behind my range top to get it to fit right. not a big deal except they didn't grind it evenly. there is a gap as seen in the pic below. I'm fine with the gap, just the inconsistency of the piece. This pic picks up the gap, but I feel it looks worse in person.

When they left I expressed I was not happy with that piece and it would need to be corrected.

I was advised to wait a few hours to install my faucet. so later in the evening I do so. afterwards, I am standing at the sink and the entire sink looks severely crooked. I checked to make sure the sink didn't slide away from the base; it did not. The install was off by 5/16" from side to side. I send them an email and the manager I am working with comes out to look at the issues thursday morning. She agrees it is off and it needs to be corrected. They don't want to break the only full seem they put in because she felt it was too nice to mess with. I advise them, the piece to the right of the sink was installed 5/16" too far forward as well as being cut 1/4" short from the dimensions I was sent. being cut short isn't a big deal because my drywall and back splash will cover the gap, but speaks to their attention to detail.

so installers attempt to correct the sink issue and put a heat pad on the piece behind the sink to break small seams and adjust the larger pieces as a whole. he puts the heat on for 45 minutes and breaks the smaller cross piece behind my sink. not a big deal, they cut a new piece and bring it out, but they chip the larger piece to the right and have to fill it.

Here is where I start getting mad. installer advises he has hesitation about correcting the piece behind the range top out of fear of chipping the larger adjoining pieces. My wife says she wants it corrected and I say not if it makes it worse. installer says well if I leave the heat pad on for 4+ hrs it should just lift right out without issue... hmmmmm if that was the case, why did you only leave it on behind the sink for 45 minutes and end up chipping the stone?

so here we are a few days later. they did improve the sink area, but it is still off by 7/32nds. I have a couple 'avoidable' chips in the area behind the sink, I still have the area behind my range that I told them to hold off with for now.

The stone is awesome, very happy with it, but I am not happy with the install. the pics below are as it sits now.

here is the corrected install and the chips that were filled behind the sink. You can see the piece on the right was cut 1/4" short

notice in this pic how the curve looks odd... it feels off, not polished, don't know if it is fabrication issue, or if the nature of the stone??

this is a pic to show how "off" the piece is behind the sink. You can see how the piece is further back on the left and tapers forward.

here is the one full seam they did. it is decent. just wanted to include for reference:

so now how do I progress from here? if you asked me right now what I wanted done, I would say I want the whole thing removed/new piece cut/ installed. that said, I don't feel like I would necessarily be happy with that. all I know now is that I am 'not happy' every time I walk into my kitchen.....
and it isn't about the money. I don't want a discount. I want the job I expected for the money I was quoted. not a half@ssed install for a discounted price.

I feel like my expectations are too high. everyone I spoke with said I made the right choice. even spoke with the lady at the stone yard since and she says we got you the right stone to the right people, it's very disappointing this is happening

please give me some insight...

Comments (21)