SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

How to tile a niche behind cooktop?

szruns
9 years ago

I have a niche framed behind my cooktop, and I need to figure out how I want to tile it (and the whole backsplash).

What is an attractive but simple way to tile the niche?

I am tentatively planning on a relatively simple subway tile for the backsplash (either a pale grey crackle tile or something similar if the sample tiles don't complement the granite). I am planning on a classic running bond pattern for the backsplash.

I am wondering if perhaps a herringbone pattern within the niche would differentiate it sufficiently to make it interesting? Should I also frame the outside opening with subway tiles set parallel to each niche side/top/bottom?

FWIW, the niche will be about 30 inches wide and about 16 inches high, centered a few inches above the 36 inch cooktop.

The cooktop is flanked on each side by large windows, so no cabinets close by. The hood is a 42 inch chimney style Kobe hood. 10 ft ceilings.

I am trying to keep things simple, as I have lots "going on" with my great granite (lots of movement, grey, black, brown, and cream), and, frankly I am exhausted from making decisions, and I just want this OVER (and, no, I don't want to wait a year to add a backsplash . . . I am so OVER home improving that I am pretty certain I'll never do another home improvement beyond painting an occasional baseboard once my home is habitable again, so it is pretty much now or never).

Thanks for any ideas or any links you can give me to photos, etc. I really appreciate all your help.

Comments (6)