SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

niche behind stove

lyfia
15 years ago

I have very limited counter space and I'm finally getting around to putting a backsplash up since we deleted that 4" lip on the granite when we bought the house. (A year later).

Well I have some bottles/spices that always ends up sitting on the right side of my cooktop which is also my one good spot to put spoons etc. when cooking. It is only a 12" area and the other side is my prep side so I decided to just for kicks check where the studs are behind the cooktops. Well I'm in luck there is a space between the studs that is perfectly centered on the cook top.

Sounds like I can put a niche there to put the bottles/spices so I have a little more space on the side. However I have some questions about it.

1. How high from the countertop should it be to be fine for regular use? Should I pick a tall pot and make sure I can reach over it or would that be too tall as I don't use the really tall one very often. I've looked at pictures and it seems to vary a lot as to what people have done.

2. Would it look funny to use a window sill as the ledge with tile around. I'm considering this because the tile I want and its edge trim wouldn't allow the niche to be deep enough for my olive oil bottle. I could use a left over piece of the granite the builder left for us, but I'm not that fond of the granite and I could easily paint a wood window sill to match and blend with the tile, plus install is real easy and no extra cost to hire somebody to cut the granite.

TIA!!

Comments (9)