SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

The 'picture thingys' behind the cooktop in the backsplash

needsometips08
13 years ago

I have no idea what the technical name is - ya know, when you frame in a square shape into the backsplash using tile componants, and put different tile in the framed in area. Some people put murals there.....well, whatever those are called, do you think they are a good idea or do they seem outdated?

In looking at a lot of different pictures of kitchens, I've noticed that it's only a very small fraction that have them and I am wondering why. Do they make a kitchen look more cluttered or busy?

I am going to have a field tile something akin to travertine, but want to have cream crackle 2x6s in the picture-thingy cause 1) I love, love, love it, 2) it ties in well with the other 2 cream painted pieces in the otherwise stained birch kitchen, and 3) it's too expensive to use for the field tile and I don't think I want the whole thing to be shiny anyway.

I am strongly toying with putting a narrow shelf of some sort as the bottom of the picture-thingy to hold the salt and pepper and oil. So the shelf would sit about 4" higher than the countertop. A flat ceramic cooktop is in the counter in front of that shelf. Would that look good?

I need input. I could take and post some photos if it would help.

Comments (22)