SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinahollywood

The Contractor's Contract Bugs Me. Am I wrong?

tinahollywood
16 years ago

Dear Forum,

I feel like I'm always whining about something, and here I go again. I just received/reviewed my contract with my GC and there's a clause in it that makes me wince. It states:

The Contractor shall not be responsible for damage to existing walks, curbs, driveways, cesspools, septic tanks, sewer lines, water or gas lines, arches, shrubs, lawn, trees, clothesline, personal property, telephone and electric lines, by the Contractor, Sub-Contractor, or supplier incurred in the performance of work.

I read that to mean if they knock out a garden wall carrying the fridge up the stairs it's my problem. I called my insurance company and they thought it sounded a bit weird. I'm insured for actual cash value -- not replacement value -- for those things outside the dwelling, but my deductible is deliberately high which means I'd end up paying a bunch.

I haven't discussed this with the GC yet. I know he's going to say that they've never had a problem in their 35 years in business blar blar blar, which seems to be his standard answer to all my concerns.

I hate starting a relationship with my dukes up, but I've had bad experiences in the past and I realize how important the contract becomes when you have to pull it out.

Is it me -- am I an oddball nitpicker -- or should these guys have liability insurance to cover damage cause by their people on my property?

Again, ever beholden.

Tina

Comments (16)