SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krnbk2

Has my roofing contractor breached his contract?

krnbk2
12 years ago

Hello all, looking to get some perspective on my current situation.

I hired a contractor to replace the roof on my home. He is currently doing my next door neighbors roof as well as a few other side projects for her and that is where I got him as a recommendation. On October 22 I signed a contract, gave him a $2,000 deposit, and was given a verbal start date of "about a week and a half" or as soon as he finished my neighbors roof.

Fast forward to now. It is 30+ days later and my neighbors roof is only about 25% completed and he has not touched mine yet. My start date was verbally changed 3 times now and he has currently promised me that he would start the roof this Tuesday and be finished by Thursday. After seeing how slow he has moved on my neighbors roof (working on it over a month) and knowing the square footage of my roof is double I am more than worried. On multiple occasions it was said to him that the roof needed to be completed by December 2nd.

I have decided that I am going to request my "non refundable" deposit back and move on to finding someone who is willing to do this job in a more timely manner. What do you think? Am I being fair? I don't know how he is going to react but if he gives me a hard time I guess there is always small claims court.

P.S. I live in NJ

P.P.S. Thanks for letting me vent!

Comments (4)