SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilmack

Are these issues or am I driving my contractor insane?

aprilmack
11 years ago

I told my contractor not to send his workers back out until I could talk to him about his intentions for 'putting things back together.'

Needless to say, my idea of what I thought would happen and what he said would happen are different.

The two issues are: (1) The contractor originally told me the existing floors would need to be removed. Once one layer of flooring (linoleum and luan) were removed he stated that the original floor (linoleum glued to plywood) would stay. I'm having porcelain tile installed and I've always been told that if don't have a good base everything above that base will fail. I thought EVERYTHING would be taken out and new plywood (subfloor) would be installed. Here are pictures.

The second issue deals with electrical work. I thought all of the old cords would have to come out and be replaced with new cords. The contractor only wants to add the outlets which are needed and just connect new outlets to the existing wiring. It just doesn't seem smart to do so. This house was built in 1966 and it will probably be another 40 years before the walls are opened again. (Well, maybe not 40 years.)

Please tell me what to do.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville