SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

Tung Oil - Correct me if I am wrong...

dainaadele
17 years ago

Oh Great Wise Ones:

Being a mostly newbie to woodwork, and having tried to glean as much info as I can on posts and other reading, I seem to have developed several perceptions of using tung oil, especially as it pertains to floors. It is almost as if one of the benefits of tung oil is that nothing is ever really "finished."

1) If you finished the floors, move into the room, and discover that there is a spot that you have not sanded well. Even later on, you can go back, sand that area smooth, reapply tung oil and voila, back to where you were earlier. This also applies to spot damage over time due to wear.

2) Controlling stain color. You are better off erring on the side of caution and staining maybe a shade lighter than what you thought you want. With tung oil, after that first application, if it is still too light, you can wipe down with mineral spirits, reapply more stain, and refinish with tung again. (This will not necessarily match the exact color in the can) Or will this process just give you a blotchy floor?

Thanks!

Comments (4)