SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Tile sizes -- what is best for a smallish kitchen?

angie_diy
12 years ago

I am seeking opinions on what size tile would look best in my kitchen, which is approx. 8' x 14'. The open floor area between the cabinets is an L, whose narrowest dimension is about 4' (as shown below). I understand that there are varying opinions about whether one should use a large tile to make a small room look larger, or if a smaller tile is better suited for the scale of the room. I'd like to know yours!

I am planning to use travertine. The tiles are 12"x12" now, but I am happy to cut them to 6"x6" or something else. The tiles are half tan and half reddish (see pictures). I am leaning towards putting these on the diagonal on a subtle checkerboard pattern as a period-appropriate nod towards my 1929 house. Also, for background I should mention that the cabs will be maple (stained light brown), counters are soapstone, and there will be lots of patinaed copper. Paint and backsplash is as-yet undetermined, but leaning towards pale yellow and sage green.

In the photo below, I have laid out the 12x12 tiles between some objects to define the space between the cabinets on the narrow part of the L. Since it is only 4' wide, you can get only 3 full tiles across on the diagonal. The hammer is there for scale.

I should point out that the color rendering is a bit touchy for my camera/flash conditions. Here is what that same scene looks like under other conditions. The truth is somewhere between these warm and cool colors.

To get an idea of what 6x6 tiles would look like, I tried to "photoshop" something representative. I reduced the picture by 50%, then made multiple overlapping copies to take up the same space. I also put the hammer back in (twice!) at full size to try to give the scale. Again, the boxes on the left and the 2x4 on the right sit where the cabinets will go:

Here is an overhead schematic of the full-size (12x12) tiles in the full floor layout:

And here is the same thing for 6x6 tiles:

Can you let me know what you think of these choices? I am mostly asking about the tile sizes, but I also wouldn't mind critical feedback on whether you like the checkerboard pattern and/or the diagonal arrangement. (The tiles are already purchased, so I WILL be using red and white travertine! :-)

THANKS generous GWers!

Comments (40)