SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucretzia_gw

Am I using too many materials for my kitchen counters?

lucretzia
14 years ago

I received very helpful feedback from several GW members regarding my counter top choices of soapstone versus honed dark green granite; see post:

Honed dark green granite that looks like soapstone?

I am leaning towards the honed green granite for ease of maintenance.

I am now grappling with a couple of dilemmas...

1) Can I break up my island with two surface materials? I like the combination of these two materials because wood provides a comfortable surface for eating and the stone protects it from water damage around what will be a heavily used prep sink.

2) Do you think it would be more interesting to use soapstone for the island sink as I think I will be using honed granite on the perimeter? I like the look of soapstone but do not feel comfortable about using it as a primary work surface. I'd likely leave the soapstone natural (i.e. not oiled) to hopefully reduce the chance of water stains.

My ceiling height is 8' for half the kitchen area and the other half is 9'. The overall room size is 16' x 16' at the widest points. It faces south and will have a skylight.

Here are two graphics of my proposed kitchen with the idea of using honed green granite on the perimeter, cherry butcher block on the island with a soapstone farmhouse prep sink. Below I have included a gorgeous kitchen from which I got the inspiration plus a forth picture showing my honed granite and soapstone samples.

Any and all thoughts regarding my two questions/concerns above?

Dolls house view  (Click on picture for larger view)

Floor level view  (Click on picture for larger view)

Inspiration example  (Click on picture for larger view)

My granite and soapstone samples [Top - Granite, Bottom - Soapstone]Â Â (Click on picture for larger view)

Comments (24)