SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehs20815

Am I going to regret mixing countertop materials in my kitchen?

ehs20815
16 years ago

Hi All,

My cabinet install is next week, and I'll have white painted cabinets in a u shaped configuration with a 68" long island, also in white, in the middle. The house is 1928 fieldstone in an urban-ish area.

I'm feverishly debating (in my own head of course) whether to do all dark-veined white marble (which was my original plan) or to have black soapstone on the perimeter and have the marble only on the island. I'm thinking this would give me the focal point factor of the marble island (visible from DR and foyer), plus the easy-to-live with soapstone in my actual cook/prep areas.

Also, the marble is a little busy, so I'm thinking the plain black of the soapstone would be restful on the eyes, without competing with the island. On the other hand,

it's a smallish kitchen (17 x 13) and I don't want the mix of materials to look jumbled and weird.

DH refuses to discuss kitchen stuff anymore, who can blame him! And I can't afford to pay my designer by the hour as I vacilate. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

What do you all think???

Comments (17)