SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meaganebrown_gw

Regretting my soapstone countertops

meaganebrown
9 years ago

We had soapstone countertops installed in our kitchen one month ago. I did research on soapstone before the counters were installed, however I now realize that I didn't do enough research. I know that soapstone is soft and will scratch occasionally and get nicked over time. And I've heard that the lighter the color, the softer it is. Our soapstone is a very light gray- similar to a concrete color. They have not yet been sealed or waxed.

In our case, we hadn't even cooked in the kitchen yet before the countertops had scratches and dings all over it. A light tap of the edge of spoon will create quite a dent. Even cardboard boxes sliding across the surface will scratch it.

Our installer has agreed to replace the countertop for us free of charge. However we will have to pay for a new stone from the granite yard.

The soapstone has not yet been sealed. I do have a sample piece that I have sealed, and the dark color seems to show scratches even more. (My fingernail easily creates a white scratch across it).

My questions are... Is there a type of wax or sealer that I can use that will lessen these scratches? Has anyone else had these issues and grown to love their countertops despite all the imperfections? Or should I bite the bullet and take the opportunity to buy a granite countertop with free installation? There are many soapstone lovers out there, but they all seem to have the harder, darker stone. I want our countertops to last for many, many years and if they are this scratched after only a few weeks, I can't imagine how they will look after a decade of use.

Comments (36)