SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edela_gw

Butcher Block kitchen desk top, what finish ?

12 years ago

Hello! My first post here at the gardenweb as I have been quietly reading and learning for a number of months now. We are nearly done our small (8' x 13') kitchen and I intend to post some pictures once it is complete.

In the meantime, I purchased some oak butchers block from Ikea to use as a top for a desk area. The instructions state it has been oiled 1x before it left the factory and to apply numerous additional coats if using it as a countertop. However, I am worried that finishing it with a foodsafe oil will leave the survace 'oily' and I do not want my papers and books to get stained/sticky.

If you have butcher's block top, what did you finish it with? Given that, what would you recommend I use knowing this is for a desk top where papers will be on top of it?

My other countertops are ceasarstone, and cabinets are white so I cannot utilize/repeat those finishes. Nor do I need to change the color of the block...just have to finish it so it holds up to use,temperature and humidity changes here in Alberta, Canada.

Cheers!

Comments (22)