SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparral_gw

Symmetry in horizontal uppers--which do you prefer?

chaparral
12 years ago

Once again, I'm probably over-thinking and dwelling on this fine point, but bear with me. We are redoing our kitchen as a U (with fridge and snack center opposite the U), and a sit-in peninsula on one leg of the U. Our cabinets will be full overlay with a white rift oak, counters "River" by Fuez.com, and oak floors. Backsplash TBD. The house architecture is very contemporary, and so we are going for a clean, open, modern look. We'll use Blum Aventos hardware, including the HK-F for folding uppers. Range wilt be 36" Bert master series, hood Zephyr Roma.

My dilemma is how to do the upper cabinets on either side of the stove. The range is centered on the wall. Here are the two options we're considering. Hoping to sign off on cabinet builds Monday, so comments would be welcome.

Entire wall is 136" wide between drywall.

Either -- 15" wide traditional vertical cabinet (hinge left), then 33" cab, then hood, then 33" cab, then 36" cab on perpendicular wall followed by 2 x 34's-- (symmetric cabinets on either side of hood)

Or-- 2 x 24's, then hood, then 30, then 33, then 2 x 36. (horizontals all the way to wall, but not symmetric around the hood).

What I like about the first option is that the horizontals on either side of the hood are a bit longer (more pronounced as a horizontal) -- while what I like about the second is that the wood over glass combo runs all the way to the wall. I did consider the first option with wood over glass as well, but then the narrow cabinet in that style didn't look as good in my opinion.

In the second option the cabinet to the right of the hood is 3" narrower because when I had it wider it seemed too imbalanced to me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (26)