SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

I'm getting a do-over...new counters, same old symmetry problem

amysrq
14 years ago

Lots of you here helped me think about what kind of tile to use with my Sage Pearl Icestone counters way back in August. (thank you!) One thing lead to another and it turns out Icestone and my builder will be replacing my counters, probably next month. In all likelihood, I will be working with a new color....something neutral, still light but maybe not so, maybe with a much finer grain. In any case, the ball-and-chain of that bottle green will hopefully be history.

I am not sure which way I will go with the backsplash tile yet, either a soft gray-green (Oceanside's Equator) or maybe something neutral, a variation on a theme of white. Not my usual, but I am wondering about the longevity of a green kitchen, even though I love green. I'm planning a trip to the design center very soon, where I can visit a number of showrooms. I really want to love the tile first and pick the counter color second.

Anyway, the balance/symmetry problem on the stove wall remains an issue, though part of me thinks I should get over it, pick tile I love, find a wall color that works and forget about the balance problem. Here's a photo as a reminder. Ignore the detritus please.

Rococogurl suggested that I somehow bring "soft horizontals" to that wall. There were other suggestions, including spectacular photoshops by Blondelle and Nalcar showing some woodworking solutions. That short wall is loaded with electrical stuff, so I can't cover it up completely or cut through it either. I also just don't want to spend a lot on the solution. I want a visual fix, not a structural fix.

That leaves me with the following ideas not in any particular order:

Use a horizontally oriented tile, like a 1x4 running bond glass mosaic, or the Ann Sacks tile Kitchen Detective suggested (looks like beadboard, turned sideways)

Use Rococo's idea of running a pencil line in the cabinet color through the tile

A 47" Ikea SS Grundtal shelf spanning the range (30 inch) and the cabinet, similar to the pencil line, only functional

A 47" Grundtal rail set below the hood

A 16" SS shelf set either at hood height or just over the switches, something like what celticm00n has to the right of her range

A 30" x 12" chalkboard (Terra Viva catalog) which would be a visual fix, but not so practical for us right-handers

A shallow shadow-box style shelf, 12x36 (same height as cabs) mounted to the wall to the right of the hood. same finish as cabs, open back probably, glass shelves maybe, just a couple inches deep...

Or my favorite....ignore the balance issue and get on with my life! ;-)

Just in case you're up for a slog through my last thread, which was mostly about tile, I'll give a link. Thanks again for any and all thoughts, advice, input, admonishments!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mostly about tile

Comments (12)