SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Floors! (A Marmoleum primer...)

artemis78
13 years ago

So our kitchen is still a long way from being a kitchen again, but we do finally have floors (and now paint, though after these photos were taken). We DIYed our Marmoleum Click floors, which turned out not to be hard at all, though a bit tedious (it took a solid day to get it all done). Just thought I'd share a few lessons learned...

- Forbo suggests ordering 10% more flooring than you need, which I ignored in an attempt to save some budget. DH flipped out and ordered emergency boxes of tile so we'd have extras. So we ended up ordering a few boxes online (since they shipped directly from the distributor in Oregon and could get to our California home in two days, while the local stores needed a week) and most of our tiles from a local flooring store. The tiles from the local store were almost all usable---only one was dented. Online, in contrast, had a dent rate of roughly one tile a box (though I think this is purely a factor of shipping things like this via UPS, not the fault of the supplier or distributor since they were pretty well packed). It worked out for us since we had ordered extra and had to cut many anyway. And for whatever it's worth, in the end we didn't need the emergency boxes...

- We used a flooring kit from Pergo that Home Depot happened to sell. Worked wonderfully---the spacers are exactly the right size for Marmoleum.

- We cut the tiles with a jigsaw with a wood blade, which was great. If you have a better saw, I'm sure it would work well too, but this was $40 and more than sufficient.

I am really in love with this floor so far! We installed it over Whisper Wool underlayment, which is supposed to absorb moisture and sound---important since our subfloor is open directly to the ground below. The underlay does make it a bit "bouncy"---DH has been jumping on it!---but I'm guessing this will settle down once the cabinets and appliances are in. It has not scratched at all yet, and not for lack of trying---we have a giant dog and my husband spent the first morning with the new floor making the dog do tricks to try to scratch it up (he also wanted to pour a glass of water on it to test the absorption rate, but I nixed that plan...) So far, so good, which is saying a lot because our dog *destroyed* the soft doug fir subfloor in the few weeks it was exposed---covered in scratches!

We are not huge DIYers, so I'd definitely say this is the type of job you can tackle if you're new to home improvement. The main skill you need is the ability to measure well, and maybe to cut in a mostly straight line! Otherwise, it's pretty simple.

Our kitchen still doesn't look like much---cabinets and appliances go in this week!---but here's the floor in progress (pattern by DH after his first ideas to do Pac-Man and then binary switches were vetoed....)

And here's why we chose a gray floor:

Comments (21)