SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharradog_gw

Big or little remodel?

sharradog
12 years ago

I have a house built in 2007 (we didn't build it) with a kitchen with an L shaped two tiered island with laminate countertops. We have a sink smack dab in the middle of the island. I have many small areas to work, on each side of the sink, on each side of the oven, and one small space beside the fridge. I like to bake and have little kids and always seem to be moving around between the areas. I want a bigger workspace not my dining table.

I have read some posts about two tiered vs one tiered and looking for some advice on options - I worry about the sink splashing everywhere. The top tier at the moment is not too useful, rounded so at each end very little width except in the middle, and when sitting at the dining table (on the other side of the island) it feels like we are just staring at wall. We don't have any chairs there because I keep thinking I want to change it.

What I'm considering doing is cutting the backsplash on the island and making a flat island with granite or quartz. My issues are

1. Do I just change the countertop and keep existing cabinets which are in good shape but won't make for a particularly interesting island (save $)

2. Do I leave the laminate elsewhere in the kitchen or change to granite

3. If I change the other countertops how likely will it be that I have to replace the tile on the wall?

4. Should I shelve the project for a few years until we can afford a full remodel of the island and/or the rest of the kitchen?

Here is a link to our floorplan - our cabinets are the same style as this photo but a very dark brown stain

http://baywesthomes.com/homes/photo-gallery/gallery-results.html?tags=kootenay-iv&title=Kootenay%20IV

Here is a wider view of the kitchen:

http://baywesthomes.com/homes/photo-gallery/gallery-results.html?tags=kootenay-iv&title=Kootenay%20IV

We don't have any immediate plans to move, for what it's worth!

Thanks so much for thoughts for a design challenged person.

Caroline

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals