SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_naclerio

Vent space re: contractors ..little or big ..emo, grumpy- let it out

Kimberly N
8 years ago

Seriously ... how hard is it to just give someone an idea of a price from an email?

I contacted people who do painting, ceilings, etc for a rough quote on removing popcorn ceilings. I know the approximate square footage, the height of the ceilings, how many rooms there are, could answer questions on cracking, etc., could provide pics. I've already had it asbestos tested.

I want to get our whole first floor done because we'll have gaps to deal with when we remove the soffits in the kitchen. We are doing most of the reno diy, but neither my husband or I are that happy about heights/ceiling work.

Seriously, why would this need a site visit? What could possibly be so complicated about popcorn ceilings?

I admit, my objection stems from the many times now that I've contacted someone, cleaned up my house, made time to meet someone and then some slick guy comes with a sales spiel and wants to charge double what the project should be. And it is always bait and switch ... the guy on the website has all these certifications, experience and insurance, etc., but then he is 'too busy' quoting to labor now, so when the guy comes to do the actual work, he is practically a teenager.

I'd cry tears of joy if someone would just give me an hourly rate for a project.

How about you all? Frustrations? Need a safe space to get petty without people hollering "first world problems" at you? Please reply here. (And you good contractors out here, love ya, I'll be the first to champion people like the guys who took care of my crawl space in my last house, etc., but I bet you've had similar experiences with your own homes. You can vent too, we won't tell anyone.)

Comments (45)