SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

Big remodel in works, but one big SNAG...

hardin
14 years ago

I have a remodel/redecorate plan in the works. Right now, we are working on the new laundry room part, which will lead into the living room job.

What I have now, is a long narrow living room which measures 25 1/2 by 14 1/2 feet. At the far end of the LR, is a room that is 8 x 12 feet. Almost a letter 'L'. The smaller room will be the laundry room, walled in with a door. After that is done, we will be working on the living room, where the major problem is located.

Before we can proceed with anything, one major thing must be fixed. The original design of the house was basically divided into 3 main areas. On the west end, were the bedrooms and the bath. In the middle was the dining room, living room and kitchen. On the east, was a covered carport. They enclosed the carport and took out what was the end of the LR, which of course was a main support wall.

Problem: The main beam that runs the entire length of the house, is now trying to come through the ceiling in the LR. My idea is to build back the main wall for support, which isn't a problem, giving me a LR and foyer.

But, before the wall can be built, the main beam has to be lifted up back into place. How can we do that? I am sure we will have to do sheetrock work afterwards, which is fine, as long as the beam gets some support. The tiny attic area is just your typical truss roof, if that helps any. We are planning on doing this on our own. There are some pictures below to help with the visuals.

1st picture is the view from the front door looking to your right. The paneling WILL be disappearing.

{{!gwi}}

2nd pic is view from front door to your left in what will be the foyer area. Not all of it is in pic, but you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}

3rd: The view from the future laundry room. It will be closed in with new walls and a door. Just behind the sectional couch is where I want to add the new support wall which will start from between the 2 windows. That spot is wide enough for a wall to start there. I measured. :)

{{!gwi}}

4th: The future laundry room.

{{!gwi}}

5th: THE PROBLEM CRACK. It is a 25 1/2 foot crack. It looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. It runs from the 'foyer' area all the way to the wall with all the paneling. :)

{{!gwi}}

Any and all suggestions or questions very welcome. Thanks.

Comments (6)