SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
politronics

Several Remodel Questions

politronics
15 years ago

Hello. I have the good misfortune of having a pipe break in my attic. It was raining in my kitchen, water coming out of the light fixtures, cabinets, everywhere. It wasn't pretty, but my new kitchen will be!

1. I am going to open the kitchen up by removing a wall into the living area. I am looking for pictures of kitchen to living area transitions, particularly the cabinets on the common wall. I haven't seen anything that looks like a smooth transition that I like.

2. I have tall ceilings and I am wondering if I should try to show some sort of ceiling type structure to define the two separate spaces, but that would still leave it open.

3. On the space between the two rooms will be a cooktop base cabinet with a raised bar into the living area. How wide should the raised bar be to sit and eat?

4. I currently have white (wet) cabinets that have gotten a little dinged up, with the paint on them chipping and stuff. I would rather have wood, but to be perfectly honest, this is a big country style house that lends itself to a big white kitchen. Is there a finish that will be more durable that I can point my cabinet maker to, an epoxy paint perhaps, or do the pre-finished cabinet mfgs. such as Kraftmaid have a more durable finish?

I will post some pics and a floor plan as I move closer, but I am at the beginning of the process, and while I need to move it along, I want to do it right the first time!

Thanks!

JP

Comments (5)