SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merimom_gw

Any 'rules of thumb' when choosing a countertop color?

merimom
15 years ago

We are have a hard time choosing a countertop bc we can't even decide what general color of countertop we want (black, brown, cream, etc). I know ultimately we should decide based on what we like and we shouldn't be afraid to break "the rules"...but it might help if I knew the rules I am allowed to break.

Here is our situation, in case you have any suggestions...

We have Kraftmaid cherry cabinets in a Sunset stain (described by KM as a "medium nut-brown, semi-transparent stain").

We are going to lay porcelain tile which has not been chosen yet either...I figured we'd chose counter first. However, we are thinking something neutral (beige, gold). Probably something like this:

http://www.rex-cerart.it/serie_colore.asp?idpadre=58&id=70&idcol=70&idcolid=38

We don't get much natural light in our kitchen so I was thinking of keeping the backsplash a lighter color (maybe something similar to the floor tile).

I know paint is the last thing you are supposed to pick, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that I'd love to end up with a kitchen that works with a beige/yellow/gold paint since I would probably paint most of my first floor that color and I really want to brighten things up.

A few granites that we have considered are Uba Tuba, Brown Pearl, Madura Gold, DuPont Zodiac Quartz in Smokey Topaz...All very different. So, I guess what I am looking for is some sort of guidance as to what different color schemes bring to the room (contrasting, coordinating, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraftmaid Sunset Cherry

Comments (9)