SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

appliance help, pls? not borrowing trouble, but...

pammyfay
15 years ago

With this economy, it will probably be a long time before I can even imagine a kitchen update, but I am wondering how you figure out what to do first if you are doing it piecemeal.

The kitchen appliances in my townhouse are 20+ years old, and the fridge, especially, worries me because I hear some noises that I know are not from the icemaker!

Currently the fridge, stove (one of those oven/stovetop/microwave/hood combos that were SOOO popular back when "Let's Make a Deal" was on TV), dishwasher are all almond-colored, and I believe they are original to the townhouse (mid-70s, I think).

In my vision of the kitchen, the appliances wouldn't be almond. They'd be white or stainless (the kitchen would have more of a contemporary look; currently it's oak-y colonial).

So how do you determine what you should do and when? If the fridge goes, I'd get a replacement that I liked--but how long can you go with a mismatched kitchen? And the flooring definitely needs updating. By cleaning under the oven, I know the linoleum does not go all the way back--there's some plywood under there. Would you risk replacing the flooring up to where the cabinets currently are, put in the new fridge and then hope and pray that when time comes for a new stove and dishwasher that everything that needs to be concealed IS concealed?

I figure the cabinetry wouldn't be a problem to "line up" with the new flooring. But am I wrong?

As I wrote, although I don't want to be "borrowing trouble," I am thinking about this! (Not losing sleep, but wondering!)

And the more I think, I sense that "piecemeal" just really doesn't work when you're doing a kitchen update. But tell me I'm wrong!

Comments (13)