SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

what ideas have you 'borrowed' from other GWers?

kateskouros
15 years ago

i just posted to rmkitchen on another thread about borrowing, or if you prefer, STEALING her fridge panels with false drawers. i really love how she broke up the space and adding the impression of the drawers really adds interest. so, thanks rmkitchen!

i also swiped cameron's hutches from her sink wall, though mine will be slightly different with bottom drawers.

there have been so many kitchens with outstanding features that it is difficult not to be inspired. so i wanted to come clean, and also thank everyone who shares their spaces and resources with us. i will of course post mine when it is finally done and will certainly credit those i've borrowed from.

i truly hope this form of flattery doesn't offend. THANKS AGAIN.

Comments (49)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Windows down to the counter "borrowed" from mamadadapaige.

Stainless steel countertops "borrowed" from rhome and i-chic.

I'm sure there are many more, but those are the 2 biggies that come immediately to mind.

E

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Which decision *hasn't* been influenced by garden web?! Every stage of our project I have turned to GW when I am researching the options! The finished kitchens blog is awesome, too!
    I am a bit obsessed with reading kitchen and remodeling books and magazines, too, though, so I never remember where I have seen the details I love.

• Related Discussions

Finally My kitchen reveal! Thank you, GWers!

Q

Comments (36)
    I love it! The brick, the wood grain, everything! It feels like it has some history to it, even though it is new. I've been trying to plan storage for my vitamix in my new kitchen, thinking it would need an extra tall space, but I might copy your method, and store it with the container next to, rather than on, the base, inside of an appliance garage.
    ...See More

I need all you GW'ers advice on a budget basement re-do!!!

Q

Comments (21)
    If you are going to paint with dry-lock the dust issue will be lessened. There is a picture of a poster who did the black paint on the ceiling thing. I haven't seen the finished room but it does disguise the unfinished look. This technique is very popular in restaurants. Once you get living down there the dust issue will be dealt with, with regular cleanings. I like the light paint idea for light better. I am not a fan of dark caves myself. I too would go with scraping and re-painting the floor. I did my laundry room in white and it not only holds up it is easier to sweep. I did mine in Kilz/water lock cement block paint. I would not invest in much if you aren't up for the full job. Three houses tells me no one wants to hang out in what feels like a basement. How old are your kids? Maybe you would be better off to create an indoor play ground down there? Hang a few swings from the rafters, get some toys on wheels let the kids do more gross motor play down there. I also kept all play-dough play downstairs. Without finished walls, warmth, heat source and lots of light, the more natural the better, it just will never be a second family room, in my experience.
    ...See More

Modern kitchen addition - still in progress - thank you GWers

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you everyone! Yes, rhome, I agree, I'm thinking a grey-brown color. I'm actually transitional in style but was drawn to modern in the kitchen ( I have been following you for over a year btw:) My floors look normal in the pics, but a huge company in the Milwaukee area did my floors said they couldn't believe what an unusual and interesting color I picked (I might have the record for taking the longest to pick a stain). I guess that's part of being between modern and traditional. I'm thinking a glass backsplash.... one simple color, maybe even clear with the paint color behind if there is such a thing.... any thoughts?
    ...See More

I need Gwer's opinions! What do you think?

Q

Comments (16)
    It's not very busy at all! At least not in the picture. If you don't like dots, however, it might not be a good choice for you. As to whether it's a "good match", that depends on what you mean. Digital pictures displayed on different monitors, even ones which have been calibrated recently, will look different, and certainly different from real life. Even so, some things are apparent in the way the two pieces in the picture relate to each other. The cabinet door looks bright white. The stone reads "white" but is very blue (gray) and yellow with dark dots. The two pieces don't "match" by my definition. They do, however, go together, with some tension. That is, it's not an obvious pairing and they push and pull each other trying to resolve whether to be white white or colored not-really-white. Tension is good in design. It tantalizes the eye and defies expectation (i.e., it isn't boring). That's why before I was talking about pulling out the colors in the stone to emphasize the differences. You're never going to make the stone white like the cabinets by wishing, but you can enhance the colors in the stone by showing more of those colors elsewhere, as we've discussed, with your walls and accents. That sets up a color story, and that's a good thing. So, no, they don't match, but yes, they look good. Have you done the Sweeby Test? (Check the Read Me thread for it.) Do these choices satisify your answers to that? It doesn't matter how much we like this and how we would use it to get the kitchen we see in our own heads. It matters whether you're getting the effect you want. You sound very unsure and not necessarily happy with this combination. If you're just having cold feet I'll give you as many hugs and as much support as you need to get you through a stressful process. But if you're so unsure because you really don't love it but you're trying to love it because it's the one you've found that best fits the bill and your parents want grandchildren, call off the wedding now!!! It doesn't matter about delays if you're going to be unahppy with the result. Also, if you can't find Mr. Perfect, better to settle for Mr. Steady and Boring, than Mr. Exciting and Unreliable. (I.e., something plainer and less challenging that can just settle into the background and show off your canisters nicely.)
    ...See More
  • pcjs
    15 years ago

The only one I took was the metal panel instead of glass - I forget who posted pictures and told me how but THANK YOU - in ORB - it looks great, easy DIY, cheap and much better than the big holes for a year, except it was so much easier just to stick my hand in. I found gardenweb after we had our cabinets and countertop installed and we have a tiny kitchen so we didn't have room for lots of details.

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

My favorite "borrow" was removable "feet" for cabinets. I don't remember whose kitchen had these (sorry), but her base cabinet trim was attached to the cabinet by velcro. My cabinet maker thought I was a nut case, but I had him put magnets on the top of the feet and the bottom of the cabinet. Now I can just move the feet when I'm cleaning.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Window down to the counter from Fothia...she hasn't posted here since 2007 (I think), but her kitchen window was the inspiration for mine! (Fothia in the Gallery: Pics of 99% finished Kitchen Reno)

Pantry from SharB! (SharB in the FKB)

• plllog
    15 years ago

I've gotten masses of help, but my big borrows is Arlosmom's "Costco" cabinets, which my cabinet maker "improved" by mounting the pullouts on adjustable shelves.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Like timber.j, I think every single thing in my kitchen was inspired by something or someone on GW! My best *find* - SOAPSTONE.

And the other thing is the truly expert advice all the GW'ers give, on layouts, especially. I know that helped me tremendously and those still continue to be my favourite threads to read. I'm continually amazed by the generosity and talent of everyone here. I even have DH hooked on checking in to GW... :-)

Eliz

• bestyears
    15 years ago

pcjs -you have intrigued me! Can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

• holligator
    15 years ago

I have gotten tons of inspiration and ideas here, but most of them are not creditable to a single poster. Most things I "stole" were either a consensus "must have" like air switches or NeverMTs or Cushy Cupboards or drawers instead of pull-outs. Others were popular items like the Kohler Vinnata faucet or Fisher Paykel dishwasher or Ticor sink. I first came here via a Google search for "soapstone" and became convinced this was the countertop for me.

I did have one blatant "theft", though. I have never been able to figure out who this pantry wall belonged to, but it was the inspiration for the design of mine:

Inspiration:

Mine:

Also, I tried to "steal" this island design (also don't know who it belongs to), but it wouldn't completely work for my kitchen. I didn't have quite enough room for the cabinets under the overhang, but I did decide to use the basic design of having the sides come out to the edges of the countertop. I love that look--it seems more "sturdy" looking and less top heavy to me, especially compared to my former KD's drawing that looked like the island was about to topple over.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I'm so happy to read this, kateskouros!

I'm a thief, and I stole my hood design from mwardlb (who was here long before I started snooping around GW) and my faucet from susanandmarkw.

dianalo posted pictures of IKEA tall narrow cabinets: we expanded on that idea for our broom "closet" pull-out -- but if not for her sharing the photos from the IKEA Fans website, I'd never have known about it.

Someone else whose name I've totally forgotten ... shoot, well anyway, they had a dishdrain carved into their soapstone countertop (not runnels), and I loved it. We'd already known we wanted runnels, but the dishdrain was inspired; we had it done on one side (with runnels on the other) and we just love it. The runnels are great, but the dishdrain is the best.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I was pretty well underway building our home when I came upon this forum by way of the Appliance Forum. But there was still time to "borrow" some great ideas.

The main one for me was pulling my three windows over the sink down to the countertop. Totally transformed the feel/look of the kitchen.

Someone posted their walk-in pantry, complete with chandelier, and though I didn't go with the lighting, I replacated her built-in shelving in mine. GC kept trying to convince me to eliminate WI pantry. It's one of the most functional features of the house. I would not want a home without one now that I've had it.

Drawers for my dishware. Love those. I'm short, and it's so much nicer to reach into the drawer rather than stretch and strain to pull out plates. Better for my good dinnerware, too. I don't scrape the rims trying to slide them back on the pile when putting dishes away.

I didn't steal this for my kitchen, but rather for my family room. Kitchenkelly's banquette seating plan. Remember the morgue drawers?! Her setup was my inspiration.

• carolinek22
    15 years ago

The good folks on this board helped to to realize that my safe, quiet granite choice wasn't exciting me and I kept looking until I fell in love with something! And I shamelessly ordered the Kohler Vinnata faucet after reading Buehl's review of hers and seeing the pics (I'm a copycat).

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I owe my DIY copper counters to Aliceinwonderland on the Metalworking forum. If she hadn't forged ahead first with her gorgeous copper kitchen island, I'd never have had the courage to imitate her method.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Keeping a MW on a shelf in my pantry (from the Appliances Forum). Love getting rid of the visible MW which I hardly use. I guess if I were a frequent MW user, the pantry idea would be unwieldy, but for me it's perfect. I also got a tip here that while the electrician was in my house doing everything else, I should also have him install an electric receptacle in the pantry.

Backsplash receptacles that are as close to my countertop as my local Code will allow, and installed horizontally. That way, they are hidden by my coffee maker, paper towel holder, etc. I also learned about plugmold here, but decided against it.

Minimal window treatments in the kitchen. I realize that's not everyone's taste, but there was a thread here about it, and I was very drawn to those kitchen windows that had just a cellular shade which disappears when open. I had originally been fretting over choosing a fancy valance and curtains or blinds, but with relief I realized that my taste was to have something very minimal.

Just on one wall - cabinets up to my 9' ceiling with 42" height, plus another 12" stack above that and minimal molding. I originally was just going with the 42" high cabinets plus a gap, and am so happy I learned about the extra stack idea on this forum.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Great Topic. I love everything I see on GW.
    I can not use all the ideas and some are not my
    taste but I still find them beautiful.
    I never tire of learning, reading and seeing
    so much beauty in a people's kitchen. I still like
    watching programs like HGTV but I also enjoy reading
    posts.

As I am about to close this note, I do believe it
    was this site that hooked me on to Jet Mist Honed
    granite.

Thanks again for a great topic.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Wow, love this topic! Things I "borrowed" from GW:

As many drawers as possible, full extension, soft close
    Ticor Sink (Love it!)
    Delta Allora Faucet (Love it!)
    Super susans
    One level peninsula instead of two (Great idea!)
    12" wide pantry cabinet - side opening/shelves instead of
    pullout.
    Tray dividers in over the frig cabinet
    Great Layout advice from many!
    Getting my own glass shelves locally

Special thanks to a GW'er from NC (Sorry, was it Mary in NC?) Who helped me tremendously with my choice of Medallion Cabinets and my choice of "Divinity" paint instead of the other creamy white they offered. So happy with the paint color!

That's it for now!

Barb

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I would have never known about toe kick drawers had it not been for this forum.

I probably would have not considered Bosch appliances had I not read so many good things about them here.

Jodi-

• megradek
    15 years ago

I've borrowed the countless number of ideas, opinions, visions, inspiring pictures and comments from everyone here at GW. So glad I found you guys!!

Unfortunately I got here late in the game (cabs already ordered) so I didn't enjoy the benefits of everyone's great layout advice, and probably would have done even more drawers! But here's my definite "steals":

Redroze: didn't realize it at the time, but totally loved her counters and lighting (had her in my "clippings") and picked out the same granite and similar lights!

gglks: Onyx backsplash (mine's not in yet, tiles coming Monday:) Her backsplash (and whole kitchen) intrigued me at first sight!

Ticor sink - this advice came from many! and how did I not know about Galaxy Tool Supply when it's in my home town??

tsherman, pbrisjar, ptyles, charlikin: steering me towards the right pulls

gardenchick & lindybarts: totally stole the idea for Cumaru floors - never even considered that one until I saw the pictures on the building forum. I am so glad for this steal!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay rmkitchen, give up the dish drain. PIC PLEASE!
    it's still not too late to continue on my rampant stealing spree.

• stpindell
    15 years ago

plllog,

Can you please post a picture of your "improved" version of arlosmom's "Costco" cabinets? I'm thinking about stealing this idea too - so it would be great to see how yours looks.

• katiee511
    15 years ago

Let's see - just off the top of my head

buehl - wrought iron calendar frame for my message center

jbrodie - possible DR paint color and window treatment

Tsdiver - the confidence to leave my window casing stained after seeing her pictures with white cabinets

sarahandbray - picked Braz Cherry floors after seeing hers with her white cabinets

buehl (again)- changing my pantry to L-shaped and painting the walls a soft yellow with white shelves (no beadboard or pretty shelf supports though)

ni_2006 - confirming I definitely wanted a sink bump-out

one of the generous KD's here (I am so sorry I forgot who) told me to purchase a Furniture Valance to get the finished "feet" look I wanted for my sink bump-out. It looks perfect!

Every person on here who mentioned loving their Never MT - we bought 4!

and most of all, not for stealing ideas, but for talking me 'off the ledge' when I freaked out at my all white kitchen :) everyone who had nice things to say about my granite and helped with paint color suggestions and everyone who posts so generously here with details and pictures because I know I mentally stole more than specific items to get a general direction for our kitchen.

Thanks GW'ers!!

• gglks
    15 years ago

LOVE this thread and the originator (KATEKOUROS) found me my mercury glass pendants!!!!!!!! how funny!!

rmkitchen----stainless steel farmsink, haefle finger pulls for my spice pullouts

mamadadapaige----inspiration from her ocean green granite

many GW's----windows down to the countertop (ONE OF MY FAVORITES)

redrose----color scheme....dark island, neutral wall paint

many GW's----NEVER MT...another one of my favorites...as small as it is, it pleases me daily

many GW's----putting tray dividers in my small 15 in base cabinet.....wasn't really sure what to do with it and then it made perfect sense once i saw a thread here....

i'm sure there are plenty more but those are the ones that really stand out in my memory.........

thanks again to all!

• plllog
    15 years ago

stpindell, my cabinets won't be installed until May, and I don't really understand. I just trust the cabinet maker. The pullouts, rather than being mounted on the cabinet sides, will be mounted on the shelves, so go up and down with the shelves.

If we're expanding to general information, I also learned that the kind of soapstone I wanted existed, and on a totally different occasion found a recommendation for the stoneyard that actually had it. And got a recommendation for the lighting designer who solved all my problems on the lighting forum. And tons of help and encouragement in general.

• kulagal
    15 years ago

We are just in the middle of our cottage reno but many thanks first to Rhome for her valuable assistance to our kitchen design; Mamadadapaige for the clever inside spice cab; Buehl for the beautiful windows down to the countertop (that she stole from someone else!); ideas from several GW'ers for drawers, Silgranit sink, air switch, Grohe faucet, Silestone, pendant, puck, and undercab lights, and trash pullout. I'm sure I'll "steal" more ideas as I learn about them. Great thread!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I definitely have to credit Trailrunner for the cookbook shelves above my fridge and freezer set. I didn't know about Lascatx's section of blue cabinets when I drew my section of burgundy ones, but she was great support and encouragement in making that major decision. Thanks to Sharb through Buehl for posting pantry shelf separation measurements from which to start figuring mine.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

bbtondo,

What is this? Got pictures?

12" wide pantry cabinet - side opening/shelves instead of
    pullout.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

How could I forget my Ticor sink, Kohler Vinnata faucet, and almost all drawers in my base cabinets! All were from several people...

Then there are my barstools from LindyBarts...

And of course, overall layout from the many people who helped me here back in late-summer & autumn of 2007...Houseful, Mom2Lilenj, Paulines, RHome410, CelticMoon, Malhgold, Lascatx, Sweeby, Valinsv!

A special thanks to Mom2Lilenj for the numerous elevation pics she did for me of various layouts! It was extremely helpful actually "seeing" how they all looked.

As others have said, this site was such a huge influence that it's difficult to remember all and from whom we "borrowed"!

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I can't remember exactly from where or from whom it came but putting radiant heat under the stone on the island is something that we had never thought of before.

We completely reworked our cabinet layout (about 20 times) based on the things we learnt from the experts here.

We're putting in some recessed shelving right behind the cooktop. We are considering using plugmold.

Just as importantly, we were able to learn from others' who have gone through the same things that we're going through. This is the most "hands-on" renovation we've ever done and the advice and information has been invaluable.

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Unfortunately I found GW a bit too late to get help with my layout, but I did get many excellent ideas.

Most importantly, my inspiration look and feel came from Lindybarts. Thank you for sharing your photos - I love your kitchen!

I also went with a super single silgranit sink, which I never would have without advice from here. I love it.

Also found much needed advice about paying attention to countertop and floor colors that would be practical for my family and our lifestyle.

Thanks everyone here for your very generous and knowledgeable advice!

• Maria410
    15 years ago

I have been on and off this forum for seven years -- LOL -- that is how long it took me to save the money for the kitchen. So over the years I have learned about many things that became part of my final design.

First of all I want to thank Starpooh and the FKB. I spent hours reviewing everyone's kitchens. On the FKB I learned I could mix medium stained cabinets and white appliances. Also found my granite (Saint Cecilia light) there.

I can only remember a few specific people and ideas:

Lissa711 -- LR6 LED recessed lights. Mine aren't installed yet but can't wait.

Appliance forum -- learned a lot about American Ranges

I will eventually steal (have to replenish savings before this can happen) Trailrunner's and RHome410's over the refrigerator bookshelves.

Igloochic -- for giving me the courage to bring my chicken back into the kitchen. Right now she (the chicken that is) is on the fireplace mantel waiting for her pot rack / shelf and for the construction to be completed.

• debsan
    15 years ago

I haven't stole anything--except brains. Yup, it's time the truth came out, I've been tapping into the collective brainpower of this think-tank everytime my own failed me.
    Hopefully, there's still enough grey matter out there to help me figure out the backsplash. Many thanks to all of those who have shared their opinions when I needed them--even those of you who didn't know you were doing it.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Like several of you I started checking in on the Kitchen forum AFTER I'd ordered my cabinets. But coming here daily gave me the confidence in my own decision making ability to insist on certain changes when the cabinets arrived with lots of errors and omissions. Though it took a year, and they don't match perfectly :>( I did hire a carpenter to change two cupboard bases to drawers. Also had him make cookbook shelves and wine cubbies to replace corner shelves that were unacceptable. Had OTF cabinet made 29" deep instead of 24". So much handier to reach trays and adds interesting dimension to wall of cabinets.

When I finally decide on a BS, it will be perfect after sharing the angst of so many fellow GWebbers!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

It is really hard to see, but a dishdrain is a wide, flat area which slopes down to the sink. We have a permanent dishrack out. (I don't know if your children are still in the sippy cup phase, but you know how they always come out of the dishwasher dripping? So ours come out of the dishwasher straight to the dishrack, and throughout the day as I get it together I put them away. Admittedly, they usually stay there until it's time for a drink!)

Anyway, so the dishrack sits perfectly in the dishdrain with no water slopping around the countertop, onto the floor, etc. Maybe there is a way to get runnels perfectly aligned with a dishrack, but not 'round here! We do have runnels on the other side of the sink and we also love them -- for placing a colander (although that could also work beautifully on a dishdrain), freshly washed produce (which wouldn't drain as well on the dishdrain), a cutting board (if we're chopping something juicy), etc. I'm glad we have both, because the way we use them they serve totally different purposes.

That's my love affair with the dishdrain!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, at first i thought you were nuts! i couldn't see anything... but i see it now and that's a great idea. thankfully we're out of the sippy cup phase, except on trips. still considering the runnels. it's hard for me to imagine carving long, deep ditches into my beautiful slabs. someone help me get over it!

• yanalg
    15 years ago

i honestly can't recall, but the idea i think was unique was for phone charger hidden inside a wall cabinet. the outlet was put through the cabinet side adjacent to the wall, so teh regular phone is hidden, and so are the wires for charging mobiles.

i also don't recall a member who had similar pendants to what i ended up ordering.

my other detail i credit garden web is the emphasis on the drawers vs. the roll-outs.

everything else i must credit to my friends and family who had undergone extensive kitchen renovations prior to me so i learned a lot from them, their mistakes and almost a year worth of research.

• mrsmonkey
    15 years ago

I think I may be one of jbrodie's biggest fans and am guilty of stealing her pendants (the style, the cost was too much to ship them to Canada), her Henry leather chairs and general colour scheme for the kitchen. I was originally doing white cabinets but fortunately was able to change them to cream in time!

Oh and the silgranit sink thread convinced me to go that way instead of stainless...and I'm so glad I did...

There are many more to mention (what is this, the Oscars?) because like others have said, this forum has been invaluable! Can't wait to post the finished pictures!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Oldalgebra:
    Here's a link to four photos of my kitchen. In two of the photos you see what I call my "side pantry" next to the refrig. It's only 12" wide and the usual 24" deep. Instead of one of those fancy pullouts, I had two doors open on the side with shelves inside. It's much more efficient and holds a bunch! My kitchen is not very large, so I was very happy to have any pantry at all! Sorry, the photo doesn't show the inside. Hopes this explains it better.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Side Pantry Next to Frig

• kulagal
    15 years ago

I love the side pantry - wish I could include something like that in our small kitchen but just no room. Overall, your kitchen is lovely.

• ebse
    15 years ago

So much!

For me, it is really about the design aspect. The finished kitchens gave me inspiration for lighting, finishes, etc. It's still a work in progress.

What a great thread!

• lyno
    15 years ago

annes arbor - do you have pictures of your cabinet "feet"? Sounds like a great idea. My DH keeps saying "no feet" because of the cleaning issue.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Ive borrowed EVERYTHING from GW and now Im broke! LOL

I cant even imagine what my kitchen would be like if I hadnt found this place. It would have been whatever the builder thought looked "pretty good".

In two months I should have a finished product. After almost a year of planning, it will come to fruition. I cant tell you how many layouts, materials and budgets I have been through. Sleepless nights, frustration and soon hopefully contentment. If we ever have to sell this house, I bet the GW kitchen seals the deal LOL.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

kateskouros, such a great thread! As I sit here in my kitchen and look around, I had to come back for more GW kudos

- Waterlox from RHome and others - love my gleaming island!

- Kohler Vinnata - buehl and others

- Air gap! Who knew?

- Having two dishwashers - RHome again!

- Caligal for my Orla Kiely canisters. Man, the trouble I went through to get those babies! Although I did get mine at Target via a very willing American friend who went on the hunt, I see they're now on ebay too. Shoot, I could make money from these things if I ever get tired of them...

Like rmkitchen, can't remember exactly where I got the recessed drainboard idea. I do remmeber it was a post from a GW'er who had done his own soapstone fabrication and his post showed a step by step of the process. This was last summer some time.

kateskouros, if you check in again, another vote for all the reasons rm said!

prettykitty, rm, for toekick inspirations.

- All the amazing - and sometime fierce! - advice over on the appliance forum.

And finally buehl and redroze for teaching me cool html codes so that I can do funky things with type in a text!

Eliz

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Back when we planned our 2001 house, I haunted GW constantly. That time I learned about the value of lots of drawers and got the courage to do a white kitchen.

This time, I decided on drawers and a white kitchen on my own! But I wouldn't have known about Never MT, Silgranit sinks or plugmolds, all of which I used -- the plugmold at the end of the island where a conventional plug would have been unsightly. Just recently, Bob_cville showed his Lee Valley clips for drawer dividers -- I'd seen them in the catalog but he showed how well they work, so they're on order. I saw many examples of pulled-forward sinks, and incorporated that in both sink run and the server on the opposite wall. I have a trash pullout and will eventually install a foot pedal. The cabinet folks dropped the ball on that.

I used GWer's experiences, both good and bad, to guide my applaince selection. I "borrowed" the courage to confront when things weren't quite right. Without your example, I would probably have let some things go by.

More importantly, maybe, has been the raised awareness level about so many things. I learned to be there if possible during four critical days: Cabinet install, countertop templating, countertop install, and appliance install. I'm retired, but if I were working, I'd take vacation days to cover those times! I can't believe how many little questions I answered!

And, to be frank, there are a lot of things that I could see "in person" and say, "Very nice -- but I don't think that's for me!!" What a big help that's been in decision-making!! I've enjoyed each and every kitchen that's been shared, and really appreciated the time y'all have spent posting.

We're moving in before May 1, so one of these days I'll have pics to share!!

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Hi Lyno,
    I hope these pictures show what I did with the magnets and the feet. Obviously, there's a magnet on the underside of the cabinets, too. If you need more info, let me know.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

kateskouros, what a great thread! Thanks for starting it.

Two of the things that come to mind are the wall filler knife pullout that I borrowed from lmalm that absolutely everyone who's visited my kitchen has fallen in love with and claims they'll be stealing and carrying the backsplash tile into the window that oofasis first showed off last summer. The bs isn't in yet, but will be installed into the window when I finally order it. (We've been on vacation so all kitchen progress has been on hold)

• donka
    15 years ago

I'm not sure I've stolen anything specifically, since I've looked at thousands of kitchens, but I've definitely been a sponge when it comes to ideas.

A few things I would not have known about, or considered, if it hadn't been for GW:

soapstone
    walk-in pantries (never had one, didn't know what I was missing!)

oh ya! I totally 'borrowed' jbrodie's latches and pulls. I ripped those off big time. I ordered the latches from rejuvenation and the pulls and knobs from restoration, so that was a definite 'steal' :)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Well if I've brought just one chicken into a kitchen, my work here is done :)

I'm going to steel the magnet feet in the next kitchen.

There are so many things I've learned from garden web...and just like twobiggirls...I've taken so many from GW i'm nearly broke :P

Toe kick drawers! Those are a huge storage boon to my kitchen, but my next toe kick drawers will be incorporated into a drawer on the base of a cabinet (who has that?) and used for can storage.

Air gap soap dispenser...great for passing inspection (then remove and replace with a never MT)

Velcro'ing your toe kick molding to the DW and Fridge base.

Runnels and a drain board incorporated next to the kitchen sink.

Oh gad who has the inset kitchen sink? Do you know what that cost me? I could kill you now (and I absolutely love it!!!)

I stole a hood from someone who has mexican tiles on the face of their hood...white hood with wood trim and these gorgeous mexican (or spanish?) tiles on the face. I copied that hood pretty closely though I did plaster on the top, and then used black granite on the face where they had their tiles. It's such a gorgeous feature and I'd never have thought of it on my own.

Oh a bump out on the range!!! (So you don't hit your hips on the range where it sticks out from the counter tops on big ranges).

I wish I had names. I learned so much from GW and was so inspired by so many. I never had a freaking knob obsession until GW...never dreamed of Lacanches, had no idea what a runnel was LOL

• lululemon
    15 years ago

There have been too many great ideas on here to mention, and I haven't actually stolen anything yet since my kitchen still isn't even started.

But there have been lots of things I wanted to steal, even when they didn't work with my layout or my style. What I love about this place is how open everyone is with their ideas.

And I hope to be able to give others something to steal very soon LOL. ; p

• lyno
    15 years ago

Annes Arbor - thank you for the info on the magnetic feet. It is a fantastic idea that may get incorporated in my future kitchen!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH