SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genx_luddite

Replacing Dated-but-Working Appliances...?

GenX-Luddite
10 years ago

So here I am, a first-time homeowner, in my new-to-me condo kitchen, with all-bisque appliances: a 1980 GE range and hood, 1991 hotpoint DW, and an 18 cu. ft. 2000 Crosley top-freezer fridge. Dark oak cabinets, curling, dented beige linoleum, and stained beige formica counters. I don't think I even need to post a photo, right?

New floor and countertop are easy to justify, since the current ones are damaged. Soon to arrive, a quartz (Cambria) countertop, a monochrome matte+gloss glass tile backsplash, a hardwood floor, and I'm painting the cabinets creamy-white. All good.

The appliances, though, are keeping me up at night, only because....they were well made. 14 to 34 years old, they all work flawlessly.

Sure, I'd prefer a new gas range, and a quieter DW, and a fancier fridge with a freezer I can actually organize -- but I don't *need* these things.

It seems, well, wasteful to toss out working machinery for purely cosmetic reasons. (I don't think the efficiency gains are enough, since it's just a 1-person household. I run the DW once a week, so a new one will save me, what, $1.50 a year?)

And frankly, what I hear about the failure rate of new appliances -- anything I can afford, at least -- terrifies me.

So... is there any way I can make the mid-80s bisque look not- so-dated, while I wait for the stuff to stop working so I can buy without guilt? (Fear of faulty motherboards on its own, I could probably handle. Fear and guilt together -- not.) Or should I just suck it up, make my landfill contribution like every good American, and see what I can do over at hhgregg?

Please help me stop losing sleep over this. ;-)

This post was edited by GenX-Luddite on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 20:26

Comments (37)