SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

WHO 'borrowed' my heirlooms

mensplace
14 years ago

After many months of buying the best possible soil and amendments, babying my seedlings, and working many a long day to pot and repot, water, and organize all of my collection for easy viewing, it downright disheartening to find roughly a third of them suddenly gone. Someone in the Atlanta area or surrounding suburbs now has a considerable collection of my plants. 17 Varieties totally gone, and of the remaining 53 varieties, the stocks were diminished considerably overnight. It first struck me when I noticed the greens missing, as I hadn't sold any, but then upon closer inspection I was shocked to see how many others were gone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone in a nearby community selling large numbers of heirloom tomato varieties. Thing is, not THAT many people go to all of the time and work to start seedlings of heirlooms and grow them out. Since anyone lazy and stupid enough to steal probably wouldn't go to the trouble of repotting, I would be willing to bet that they are still in my heat and waterproof floral or styrofoam coffee cups marked with a permanent market and the larger ones in 16 oz blue or red plastic cups also marked with a black marker.

There probably isn't much that I can do about this, but on the other hand, at least I can warn my friends to be careful when releasing your address to anyone. I couldn't be home ALL the time and it only takes a few minutes for someone to drive up, load what they want, and then be gone. These are curious times and if something is worth anything, it's subject to disappearing. Even in this small town there was a gang of young men driving up to homes and quickly removing garden tools from carports. When they were caught, they had a whole storage unit full of power tools and every possible thing that could be stored in carports. But, Heirloom Tomatoes?!!!

Comments (26)