SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onekeysgirl_gw

seeking layout thoughts and ideas

onekeysgirl
10 years ago

Embarking on new home project, this forum has been a wealth of information just reading other's posts. I am now in dire need of fresh eyes and thoughts on my pending kitchen . After waiting 6 years for permits, you'd think I'd have this all figured out by now, but, nope, not yet! I have this picture in my head, courtesy of countless kitchen & bath magazines, that I'm realizing may be both unrealistic and totally out of my budget!

About us... family of 3, 8 year old boy and a cat. Only one of us cooks (unless you call PB&J cooking). We eat in most meals and I cook from scratch. Love to entertain anywhere from 5-25, knowing this will happen more frequently with the space the new house has to offer.

About the project... this will be my forever house. Ground level. Concrete walls up, roof, doors and windows by Jan. (translation: I have to get my act together or I may be stuck with unchangeable things soon!)

Must haves... large one level island with generous seating, gas range with 2 ovens/ griddle, two refrigerators (either 2 basic 33" single door/ bottom freezer in kitchen or 1 36" french door in kitchen with back-up fridge in pantry) and 2 dishwashers. I REALLY like symmetry and clean lines, although not modern in style.

Things that are fixed... the wall placements and lengths, the gas, the water for sink on island although I have side to side wiggle room for actual placement, and the 2 windows- they can be shrunk in width if needed to allow room for proper range hood size.

Things that are variable... the door to pantry, the pantry layout, the laundry room layout, even the wall between the laundry and pantry. Possibility of recessing refrigerators into pantry/ laundry room wall. I'm open to any ideas to best use the space. I'm not interested in wet bar now, plumbing will be in wall for future use.

The floor plan I'm posting is architect's drawing (not by a KD). It was used for rough plumbing/ gas in ground slab/ walls. The dimensions are on the plan- there's an overall of kitchen and surrounding areas and a close up of the kitchen and pantry. Plus I'm posting my two favorite "inspiration" pictures.

My budget... splurge item will be a gas range, at this point a five star 48" all gas or smeg 48" dual fuel. Budget to some, splurge to me. 2 ovens a must and I don't want real estate/ expense of wall ovens. Stainless 48" hood, non-designer refrigeration (size and function more important than name), mid-level DWers, single bowl 36" sink, undecided on farmhouse or undermount. Don't care if MW is in kitchen or pantry, just don't want to look at it. Maybe a drawer unit?

In my mind...(left to right) the range wall layout is pantry 18, ref 33, drawers 33, range 48, drawers 33, ref 33, pantry 18. I don't need the pantry space (with walk in) but know there needs to be something btw wall and refrig so this at least gives a place for pots and pans and serving pieces on roll trays. and the island is trash 18, sink 36, DW, DW, drawer 24 (roughly 10.5' by 4')

Seems like I've written a novel. I hope this gives adequate information to get a few replies. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Comments (5)