SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

Seeking Help - Island Layout and kitchen update ideas?

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

Bought a house last year and have spent the last 8 months overhauling each room - house hasn't been updated in 20 years and haven't been cared for. It's time for the kitchen....

So far we've refinished the floors in medium walnut, ripped out the useless island, and added missing appliances so the kitchen is usable.

New cabs and a new layout just isn't in the budget, so I need to work with the arrangement I have. Problem is, I can't figure out how to effectively add an island! I want a nice island with seating for 4 (preferrably, tho we have room for a table in the nook so maybe this is an odd addition?), our family will use this for dinners, homework, you name it. I don't like the current configuration b/c I think the island is floating too far out in the kitchen, away from the perimeter. i don't want to cut off flow and i don't want walkways around the fridge and dishwasher to be too tight (the hardest challenge). Any great ideas??

Idea is to paint the cabinets a white variety, new handles, new cooktop, oven, microwave, new light fixtures, dark walnut perimeter countertops, and stone island (hoping to snag a good remnant)...all while trying to work with the existing faux plaster walls. BS is a wildcard right now...I welcome ideas on what to use...

Everyone on here has such awesome ideas, I really welcome any advise!!! Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pictures and Layout

Comments (2)