SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

I'm so excited and can stone be repurposed?

cotehele
15 years ago

I am finally beyond the layout phase and working on materials-yippee! On a whim I meandered into a primitives shop between the post office and the grocery store. It's a fun place to browse, and I've found a few things I like. At the back of the store, in the garage, I found salvaged 92'' high doors that made my heart skip: set of french doors and matching door with brass lever hardware and frames, and a gorgeous quarter-sawn oak door. The price came to $1,050, not too bad, but I asked if I purchased all three could they do better--OMG yes! $500! The french doors will fit between the DR and hall, the matching door will fit between kitchen and porch. The QS oak is so pretty, I don't know where to put it. It has a mail slot and would work for the porch door. But it's a north facing door; I don't want it weather damaged. I'll get some pics when I can get them home :)

This is a really odd question, but here goes. Can I reuse my sidewalk stone slabs for countertop? I'm not sure what kind of stone it is. It is 100 years old and enormously heavy. It was difficult for a front loader to move one piece (to use as a small patio when part of the sidewalk was replaced with concrete). A couple of pieces cracked when a truck drove over the sidewalk to cut down a tree-I told them not to do it! There are 5-6 intact sections I'm guessing 4' x 4' and 2'' thick. I am sure it will get damaged during the construction if it is left in place. How can I find out what kind of stone it is? I'd guess very smooth limestone. The old curbs were granite, but this doesn't look like granite. How could it be finished? I haven't breathed a word to DH about reusing the stone sidewalks; he would think that was really stupid. I'd like my ducks in a row before I mention it. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Judy

Comments (15)