SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogarden_oak

Please help us choose our flooring!

lovetogarden_oak
11 years ago

We are now needing to decide the flooring for our kitchen. The kitchen is medium sized (225 sf) and will have white shaker cabinetry and statuary vein countertop.

The wood species we are considering are: american walnut, white oak and maple. The rest of the house has read oak flooring (came with the house) but DH hates it, so we are going with a different species this time.

We are going to stain and sand the hardwood floor on the job-site. We are leaning towards darker stains (like coffee or chocolate) than lighter one. Although a medium stain of Sedona and coffee mix looks good to us, too.

Our floor guy said that maple is hard to stain and can turn out blotchy. So he's trying to steer us towards walnut. But I am worried about the "look at me" factor of walnut will compete with the countertop though I admit walnut is beautiful!

We have an adorable 80lbs lab, so we expect the floor to be scratched up. (Though our red oak floor hasn't shown any scracthes so far.) Maple is hardier than walnut so I was thinking that it is the better choice than the softer walnut for scratch-resistance.

I just heard about white oak flooring. So, I would love to see photos and hear more about it.

Could you please show me your medium to dark hardwood floors, especially if you have walnut, white oak or maple flooring.

Also, please share any insights you have about maintenance, scratching etc for your hardwood floor.

Thank you so much!!!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving holiday everyone!

Comments (21)