SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berlingirl_gw

Granite decision "was" made...but I'm still torn...help please.

BerlinGirl
11 years ago

LOL, I know I am posting in the right place as a number of us seem to go back and forth between decisions pertaining to granite and about a 100 other things...

For years while I was dreaming about updating my kitchen I was convinced I'd have Blue Pearl. Then when it looked like maybe the kitchen remodel would be a reality I started looking at granites seriously. Not easy in my remote rural part of the country. I fell in love with Lemurian blue (yeah right, it's priceys and rare.($165+ at sq ft if you can find it) Not happening, so I found instead, an amazing dark granite...it's almost black, has dark green, gray and has fantastic blue laborite cobalt throughout. I was getting it. However, it's a granite that takes a high gloss shine. It's almost like a mirror, every time I tried to take a picture of it, I was in the picture. Plus, my kitchen is small, has very little natural light so I thought it would appear smaller with shiny dark black countertops. Furthermore, I am not Martha Stewart. My kitchen counters are NOT spotless, with kids, pets, projects, etc. It seemed like I kept reading that this shiny black stuff was a nightmare to keep clean. Plus it would give the kitchen a cooler look. So...all these things scared me a bit. I thought it might now work.

I started to switch gears. I love the look of soapstone. DH DOES NOT, does not like the leather look or the honed looks either. However, he did like the look of dark green Costa Smeralda that we found. This granite is dark green with white cream veins running through it. We both like it and it would work with a "warmer kitchen". It won't be high gloss, not super shiny. It wouldn't show every drip, crumb and mark under the sun like the darker granite. We decided on it.

We have paid a deposit on the green granite, however if I need to change my mind, I can. Im am sure the guy there will kill me...lol, I've visited about 5 times already and they are 1 1.5 hours away. I spent hours there already.

My kitchen cabinets are going to be Natural Cherry Shaker style...floor will be wood, it's a light red oak.

Thoughts?

Comments (27)