SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Granite IN! Seam decision made & now it's down to the backsplash

hobokenkitchen
14 years ago

Please excuse the mess in the below pics - obviously we still have a long way to go!

DH won out and we went for the two smaller seams behind the sink. I think it was the right decision as it occured to me that the long seam would have been right underneath one of the under cabinet lights and lit up all the time!

We ended up going with the quartzite instead of the white, as once the cabs were in, I just wasn't seeing the white in the space.

I think it came out really well - the fabricator (Wolf Granite Philadelphia) did a great job and were tireless in unswering my endless questions and laying out the template for two different options.

So now we just need to decide on the backsplash. Any thoughts? Votes?

We were going to do a glass subway, but I would like a little more texture in there.

Here are a couple of teaser pics! : )

and the sink seam:

Backsplash number 1:

Backsplash number 2 (don't have an actual sample yet)

Votes?? : )

Comments (60)

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments!
    It's probably hard to tell, but the cabs have quite pronounced lineal graning in them so not sure that turning the thin tile on its side would work. Too many straight lines going up.

The sink cost $400 on ebay and the facet is the Danze parma in stainless steel, also found on ebay for around the cost of the polished chrome. Very happy with both.... of course they're not actually working yet, so we'll see!
    : )

• neesie
    14 years ago

I think beekeeperswife is on to something with the elongated look of laying the tile vertically. Both choices are nice but I really prefer #2 laid vertically.

• Related Discussions

Uba Tuba Girl Chooses Backsplash - Love it, now needs paint color

Q

Comments (9)
    Wow! That looks great! You did good as they say down here in the Deep South. Your cabinets are beautiful and the granite and backsplash look great with them. My house is similar in that it is very open. A mixed blessing when it comes to paint. I had wallpaper up in the kitchen when we first moved in and thought it looked weird to have a wallpapered room hanging off the rest of the space. I repainted it several colors trying for the perfect one that would go with cabinets and the rest of the house. You can see everything in my house when you come in the front door, not sure if yours is that way. Eventually I went with a color that is very similar to the colors in the open areas of the house. After all my experimentation it looked the best. I have SW Plantation beige (an old Duron color) in the open spaces and then BM Danville Tan in the kitchen. Danville Tan is a good color to go with what you have but I am afraid that it is similar to your backsplash tile. Good luck!
    ...See More

Backsplash Round 3 Knock out and final decision*

Q

Comments (34)
    Thank you again for your support. I am so excited that everyone is liking my final choices! It means so much to me as I am so bad at these things. Good things to think about - currently not much out on my countertop and hoping to keep it that way - but things have a tendency to expand to all available space! I was planning on one run of accent but could do 2 or maybe just a bit of accent under the sink window. Badger - at least I have some copper so we can still be "sole mates" . The next few weeks are going to be crazy at work - so might not be living on GW as much - but will try to read even if I can't respond (I have a rule - no GW blogging while at work) Thanks again and hope to order the tile this week.
    ...See More

As good as it gets for now-Finished kitchen minus backsplash

Q

Comments (47)
    senator13; I loved your kitchen all of it. I have been looking for several years for a way to install an apron front sink in my existing laminate countertops. I'm not talking about the Ikea Djomso sink. I've been looking at the Kohler Dickinson. And I was so excited when I came across yours. How did you ensure that the the laminate edges that butt up against the sink are waterproof? Please share any secrets/tricks that made it possible. Also how is it after this amount of time? I have an extremely busy kitchen in a family of 8. Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing from you.
    ...See More

Mellie's Kitchen -- Typhoon Bordeaux -- Backsplash Decisions!

Q

Comments (21)
    I have Typhoon Bordeaux in my new kitchen and I also love it. We used a marble subway tile called Bursa Beige with glass accent tiles similar to the ones you are considering. We did a row 2 deep of the accent tiles and it looks great. Since the granite is so beautiful the backsplash needs to be simple but elegant. Attached are photos of my kitchen. Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pictures
    ...See More
  • timber.j
    14 years ago

Wow! It's looking good!

I think both of those backsplashes are good options. Running #2 vertically like beekeeperswife suggested occurred to me too.

I really like those brown pieces in your first option, but next to your counters it is seeming too dark overall to me in the pictures. Is there any way you could combine the glass subways with the mosaic?

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Lovely choices so far. My vote is for #2, #1 is lovely but too dary next to your cabinets. I'd have to see #2 laid vertically before I could vote for that direction. I agree with you that it may fight with the vertical graining of your cabinets, but need to see it lined up first before I'd rule it out.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Great job. I think you made the right choice with the seams, being that you have an apron sink. My seam will be right under a cabinet light too! But, I couldn't abide with those seams in the front and back - I don't have an apron sink.
    Although I like number 1, I think it will be too dark with your beautiful dark cabs. However, you do have lots of windows in there - and having under cab lights will of course help with that.
    But, still I like number 2 best for your particular kitchen.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Wow, Looking great!

Another vote for #2. I agree with Skoo on that it ties with your floor nicely. I also would like to add that it picks up the shapes of your drawers, sink and pulls as well.

Not sure about vertical until I could see a sample of it hanging in your space. The mosaic is gorgeous as well but I think it would clash with the rest of your kitchen.

• poodledo
    14 years ago

Seams? What seams! You're kidding, right? Looks like all your leg work to find the best fabricator was worth it! I hope I have the same luck with Colonial and Amerom/Stonehenge4stone...slabs are purchased, just not installed yet.

Your counters are beauTEEful (ya'know-what-I-mean?) Is that the Crystall quartzite?

Keep sending the photos as they come - love'em! No doubt whatever backsplash YOU pick will be stunning.
    Poodledo

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful kitchen. The wood cabinets are so unusual. I don't see the seam in the quartz. :)

I like variation and intensity of the colors, textures and material in BS#1. I am not a fan of most bs with vertical glass, but they are striking.

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

OMG! I LOVE BS #1!! SOOOooooo cool.

And by the way, I cannot see the seams AT ALL. Nice.

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Can you tell me what the name of tile #1 is?? I just love it!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Ooooooh LA LA....Gorgeous.
    My vote is #1 tile.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

poodledo - the guys who did our fabrication love Stonehenge4stone, I think they work together a lot. I liked it there too, the guy who runs it is hilarious!

It does seem to have worked out well with our fabrication - John (fabricator from Wolf) actually just called me to ask how my husband liked the counters and is going to drop me off a stone care package. Really nice touch and I think he did a great job on these seams - I was really worried about them!

cawfeegirl -the tile is from an online store - it's 1/3rd the price it is in stores according to one of the reviews.... I've actually not seen anything like it in a store. I'm on my phone but I'll post you a link when I'm at a proper computer.

Thanks for the votes folks! It seems once again like one of those things that comes down to personal preference. So hard to pull the trigger on a final decision! : )

• leel
    14 years ago

Love your kitchen. Could you tell me what hood that is--looks like what I need!

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

leel; the hood is a Wolf low profile hood.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful in every detail! I think either choice #1 or #2 for the backsplash will be great. I have a slight preference for #2 because of the ways that it accents the horizontal motion in your cabinets. I do not like the idea of installing the tile vertically. I know that is very trendy right now. But I don't think that look will last and it will date your kitchen too quickly. As another option have you considered a larger tile? Although it may sound counter intuitive, I once heard a decorator say that large tiles (floor or wall) make small spaces look bigger.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

looked and looked - can't see a seam. they messed up, didn't they? - lol!!!! guess they didn't want to be the topic on this forum!

love both tiles. but I wouldn't put either all over. behind the stove and then maybe use some of it as an accent line in a cream colored tile for the rest of it. your floors are dark, the cabs are dark... I think too much of it would 'fight' with your beautiful cabs and counter top. let it be an accent. (agree - no vertical run of #2 tile).

love the counter top! what a great job on your kitchen!

• gobruno
    14 years ago

Love your counters. Really beautiful. I vote for #2, but I prefer rectangular tiles to square ones in general bc I think they're more interesting. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product!

• jammiesallday
    14 years ago

Holy cow!!!! It's stunning!!!! It is really really beautiful. I vote for #2. I think it will look amazing with the floor and give you depth and interest without being busy.

You must be thrilled!

• ptyles
    14 years ago

It looks gorgeous!!! I think I am the lone vote for backsplash #1. Can you tell us more about it, who makes it?

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Great eye candy!!

I like the #2 backsplash. #2 is more modern thus consistent with your kitchen style. Further it's got some greenish shades into it that blend very well with your current color theme by adding interest without causing a conflict.

Regarding how to set it, are you setting it on entire wall behind the sink? There's currently not much space to set the BS over the sink.

Why do I ask? Your kitchen does look longish in the picture. However, when you stand facing it, If you have horizontal lines on the backsplash *over the sink*, the overall effect would bring a more wider feel. Conversely, if you were to set it verical everywhere, your narrow window wall might look very narrow and very tall.

Just my 2c.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

"excuse the mess" -- Is anyone else having trouble finding the mess? I could post pictures of a REAL mess.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

based on the vertical graining in the cabs, i'm not sure i like the skinny tile either vertically or horizontally, but i think horizontally would be better. i like the "squareness" and heft of the other tile. just wondering if it might be too dark.

• Karen Eagle
    14 years ago

Love your kitchen. I vote for #2, horizontal. It goes with the drawer pulls.

• plllog
    14 years ago

The kitchen looks great with the appliances in and the stone on. Very rich.

But while I think that the colors of your backsplash options go well, I think they're going to be way too dark.

What I think would look good is a light, clear glass in whatever shape you prefer, that picks up the tones in the quartzite. Light. And a single tone. You could buy a sheet or two of the first one with all the great colors and textures and either do a single line for an accent, or randomly throw some of individual squares into the field. In other words, I love all the stuff and color going on in number one, but you need to dilute it way down.

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Terrific fabrication! The seams are invisible and short which is the mark of excellent fabrication in my book. Your selections have been outstanding.

I'm not good with backsplash at all, but to be honest I'm not loving either sample. Everything in the kitchen is so elegant in its simplicity that I'm afraid the heavily patterned backsplash is too much for the simplicity of the space. However, you should get what you love and your track record proves that you make very good decisions. Don't listen to me.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

• lmfoodie
    14 years ago

Wow, the whole thing is stunning! So happy for you that you had a positive experience with the fabrication. Where did you finally end up going for your stone?

I prefer backsplash #2--I think the pale green brings in a lovely new element.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

beautiful! i love your choices and really can't wait to see the backsplash! i really can't decide which i prefer. love the metal inserts in the first one but love the shape of the second. sorry i can't pick one over the other but hurry and finish... PLEASE!

• sochi
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks fantastic, wow. Great job. I love the quartzite. Of the two samples you posted, I vote for #2, however I agree with plllog, I think both might be a bit dark. I think a simple opaque glass backsplash would look fabulous and not compete with the richness of everything else.

Enjoy your kitchen!!

• plants4
    14 years ago

Very nice kitchen. I would think with its simple modern lines -- including the strong element of the cabinets' wood grain -- that you would want something similarly simple. As in not multicolored and not such small tiles.

It's very elegant right now and I don't think the tiles you've chosen complement those choices.

(sorry!)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Can't believe I missed this all day. REALLY, REALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I LOVE the first tile combo. I usually prefer rectangular tiles, but you have so much long, linear flow going on already, both vertical and horizontal, that I like the squares and the visual action going in that whole field. I think you have enough things that come off as solid color to handle the busy-ness.

• morton5
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! And I love that it is so unique. You have picked some wonderful finishes. Great job!

While I like both tiles, I would put neither in your kitchen. I would go for something light and not too busy, to balance the other dark elements and keep the cabs as the star.

• jaksopcam
    14 years ago

I don't normally chime in on backsplash decisions since I had such a difficult time with my own and there are so many more talented people on this forum. However, your kitchen is a complete opposite of mind but really grabbed my attention and I just loved, loved tile #1. Your kitchen is beautiful. I personally think #2 will fight a bit with the grain in your cabinets and the colors don't seem quite right with that beautiful quartzite. I don't think #1 will be too dark but if it is a concern, maybe you could buy a single color sheet of mosaics and switch out some of the ones in #1??

All in all, as others have said you have made excellent decisions so far so I'm sure whatever you pick will look great. Trust your instincts - they seem to be spot on!!

• organicgirl_2009
    14 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen looks beautiful. Can you give us newbies some info on your counter tops...they look beautiful. If I have followed this thread correctly they are quartzite? Do you have a close up shot, they are fabulous and may have me rethinking my countertops. Thanks.

• faleash
    14 years ago

hoboken- I loved the pics of your kitchen without the stone in and now love it even more... LOVE IT!!! I think either tile choice would look great, but I'm partial to #1 because it's special. Not as common. You are starting to see lots more of the long skinnies and I like that the squares have so much interest mixed in. Funny, the long skinnies are what I just put in my own kitchen, but I still favor #1. I do hear what folks are saying about fearing it will be too dark... How about filling the counter to cabinet area with the glass subways you first thought of (in the light taupey color that matches the glass in #1) and then running #1 as a 6 inch accent strip a third of the way from the bottom? Then it wouldn't all be so dark and heavy, you'd get light from the glass tiles reflecting and you'd get more bling from beautiful #1!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Hoboken --

Like so many others, I love tile #1. What a fabulous zingy blingy tile with so much going on!
    And for that reason, I think it would be totally wrong for your kitchen.
    The wonderful wood grain in your cabinetry deserves to be the highlight.
    Anything zingy and blingy on the backsplash is going to compete with that and dillute the impact.

I also really like the shape of the #2 tiles, but have reservations about the colors.
    I wouldn't introduce a new tone in the backsplash...

I'm with Plllog about a single toned backsplash, or possible a very subtle tone on tone.
    Something that blends right in with your beautiful quartzite and lets the wood grain remain the star.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I just LOVE your kitchen so much. I love the cabinets, the stainless steel appliances, the counters and that gorgeous floor! I love all the windows you have. Can you give me more details on the floor and the cabinets that I just adore?

I like both backsplashes a lot. I wish I could be of more help but they are both gorgeous!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Really, Really Beautiful! Your cabinets look so rich! I love the appliances, the sink, that gorgeous range, the cabinets above the sink - love it all!

Just looking at the backsplashes by themselves, I love #1, but I, too, wonder whether it might be too dark in your kitchen and think that #2 might be a better choice.

• smiling
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous! It is elegant, sleek, classy, inviting, and warm all at once. You have made such fantastic choices all along, I feel certain we will see the perfect backsplash, so my advice is to trust yourself once again. Having said all that, and since you asked, I'll add my opinion. I would use the same quartzite as those unbelievably gorgeous countertops and do a single slab, full height backsplash in that. Simple, sleek, and elegant like the rest of the kitchen. Over the range, I would do an insert mosaic using the #1 tiles, either in a simple rectangle, or a harlequin shape diamond mosaic with simple, thin, SS frame.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Can I chime back in and say that I totally agree with smilings most recent post?!

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

#1 here.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

I don't have a picture, but my friend used either the same or very similar to your #2 choice as two rows of accent tile with light brown travertine type of tile. It looks very nice.

I also love both tiles. We have the small mosaics in blue glass, and although I love it, it is very busy when you look at it on a large scale, so I have to be careful what else I do.

• jojogirl11
    14 years ago

Gorgeous space! What did you decide on the backsplash? Maybe you've posted elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jojogirl - our backsplash is sitting in boxes waiting to be installed. I'll post as soon as it's in - thanks for asking!

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

Another vote for #2. it complements rather than competes but it is still a wow factor.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Was wondering if the backsplash was installed yet since I would love to see pictures. I love your kitchen so much and I know either backsplash would look great.

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

Both backsplashes go beautifully!
    1. seems more classic and warm (very rich looking)
    2. seems more modern and fresh

I guess the ? is what look are you going for?

I think I like #2 a little bit more than #1 - it is bright, fresh and cheery while still being calm. I like it on the horizontal better than the vertical.

Honestly thought both go beautifully and you can't make a mistake by picking either one.

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

I like both choices, have a slight preference for the second but noticed the floor tile goes in a different direction than the backsplash would.

• twosit
    14 years ago

Did you ever post the link to the first backsplash? I would love it...for my kitchen!

• lada0513
    13 years ago

Can you please tell me the name of the 2nd sample? I loved it but can't seem to find it anywhere. Which one did you end up going with? Do you have photos to share what it looks like?
    Thank you very much.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In trying to locate an old thread I came across this one - interesting to see the dilemas we went through last time... all to come again this time no doubt. I feel bad because I never updated the pics when the tile went in, so just in case there is anyone who voted and never saw the finished product... here it is:

We also managed to find a dining room rug which nicely tied in the colors of the cabinets and the backsplash.

Lastly the other question I never answered in this thread (sorry) is that both tile choices came from www.glasstilestore.com and both my choices are still available.

Probably too late to be of any help/ interest to anyone now, but when I found the thread I decided to update it!

Now back to searching for the other thread! Wish the search function worked better!